Keychain LED light outperforms PT Impact

Streak

Enlightened
I have access to some lenses which I have been playing with. I managed to achieve some astonishing results (well to me anyway).
The only LED light sources I have are Photon's, Infinity and the Impact.
The lenses I used are only about 14mm in diameter, slightly smaller than a AA battery, it slips ontop of the LED in the infinity like it was designed just for that light!!

Using the Infinity as the light source with the lens it cast a very useable focused circular beam on a wall across the room where without the lens you would not notice the beam.

I then tired both a white and a turquoise Photon. WOW! I ran out of space at about 11 yards where it cast a beam about 3 feet in diameter across the room. I did the test at 1.00pm inside with the curtains closed, outside was full sunlight.

I tried two lenses the one will focus when about 1 cm from the LED and gives a less bright beam of larger diameter, the other one focuses at about 2.5cm from the LED and is the one mentioned above.

This lens almost begs to be installed in front of the ARC AAA/AA. I picture the lens being mounted in a small slip on housing where it is pre-focused. Slide the housing onto the ARC and you have the conversion done for when you need a tighter focused beam.

I tested the Photon (led with 2 CR2016 coin cells) with lens against the PT Impact which has it own lens and reflector plus runs on 4 x AA duracells and so far it seems to outperforms the Impact (tighter more focused and brighter). I look forward to darkness to really test properly.

The white Photon gave a smoother beam than the turquoise but both were really bright. I must admit that I have tweaked the white photon with a brighter LED but the batteries have been used quite a bit.

We do not yet have ARC products here in this country but hope to change the situation in a few weeks time. I would love to try the lens in front of an ARC AAA.

That's all for now.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak...I played around with the lens of a PAL on an ARC AAA-Turquoise, and the beam it threw was outstanding
shocked.gif
! I hope ARC will eventually market a lens that can be put on the buisness end of the AAA. Sometimes I need a little more throw, vice flood...

PJD

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
Streak, where did you get your lens? I'll like to try some. This may be the next wave in LED flashlight design.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like you read my mind. so where DID you get those lenses? also, what kind of LED did you beef up the photon with and where can they be had?

Streak

Enlightened
Hi all.
The lenses came out of 7x21 and 7x25 binoculars. I know that breaking perfectly good binoculars would be an expensive way to get lenes but I have a large number of reject binoculars out of which I have stripped the lenses.

I upgraded the Photon using an S ranked Nichia Led.

Latest posts