LionHeart standby power drain

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've seen many different auto-discharge figures given for Li-ons ranging from 1.5% per month to over 5%. Some sources have mentioned an initially higher drain after which the battery settles down to +-2% per month.

My concern is that the LH standby drain (if it exists) may hasten this decline, perhaps significantly. This may have been covered in the original humongous LH thread but I couldn't find it and any info will be appreciated.

Brightnorm

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I've seen many different auto-discharge figures given for Li-ons ranging from 1.5% per month to over 5%. Some sources have mentioned an initially higher drain after which the battery settles down to +-2% per month. My concern is that the LH standby drain (if it exists) may hasten this decline, perhaps significantly.

This may have been covered in the original humongous LH thread but I couldn't find it and any info will be appreciated.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it has been covered...

The LH electronics draws <30uA in standby. It won't be an issue. If you don't use your LH for many months at a time, just remove the battery or better yet - sell it to some that will use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks George, but how did you find it, was it in that huge thread? I used SEARCH but couldn't find it.

PS I'll give you my PILAs free in exchange for your LH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

Spuz

Newly Enlightened
Heh, how did George find it? I'd imagine he's got the information close to hand, given that he's responsible for the Lionheart's uC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Thanks George, but how did you find it, was it in that huge thread? I used SEARCH but couldn't find it.

PS I'll give you my PILAs free in exchange for your LH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - well you never read the instruction manual eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
LH Manual (part1) First post in the thread right at the beginning...

Not even I have an LH yet. And not even the LH drivers - Charlie has them now.

Soon to be heading off to Australia for a month and a couple of weeks in the bush and I have to rely on my OLD Led torches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

george.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I should have remembered your role in the LH. Thanks for the info and enjoy your trip.

BN

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I should have remembered your role in the LH. Thanks for the info and enjoy your trip.

BN

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to have a chuckle when you asked george where he found the current drain info on LH ;-)

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LH standby current is about 1/6th of the nFlex
(30uA vs 200uA). Does the LH circuit use a different
microprocessor that has a lower sleep current?

Have you measured the sleep currents at high temperatures?
I'm just wondering if it goes up dramatically if, say,
the light was kept in a hot car all summer (50 or 60
degrees C daytime, 25-30 degrees C at night).

Thanks - Greg

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greg_in_canada said:
The LH standby current is about 1/6th of the nFlex
(30uA vs 200uA). Does the LH circuit use a different
microprocessor that has a lower sleep current?

Have you measured the sleep currents at high temperatures?
I'm just wondering if it goes up dramatically if, say,
the light was kept in a hot car all summer (50 or 60
degrees C daytime, 25-30 degrees C at night).

Thanks - Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

The 30uA is conservative, it depends on input voltage mostly. Yes, it has been tested over ranges.

The reason the current is so much less than nFlex is that nFlex has a switcher chip and 3.3V regulator (since it can run at >20V). The LH driver doesn't have that extra circuitry and so the standby current is ONLY due to the uC.

george.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Oh, c'mon George, OLD LED torches? Ya got a VIP, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

(oh right, no pocket clip - yet - so it's less "carryable"...)