Reflector Cleaning

a716

Newly Enlightened
I have now modified my reflector on a light very similar to this one here (same reflector). What is the best way to clean it without removing the relective paint type stuff?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
a716 -

First off, welcom to the fora! (I'm told that's the proper plural of "forum.")

I know nothing about that light in particular, but I do know quite a bit about other reflectors that are popular around here. And my advice is don't touch it with anything! If it is coated the same way the Pelcan, Surefire, and many others are coated, you can do nothing but ruin it by "cleaning" it. Use compressed air ONLY. Do NOT touch it with anything, or my experience says you'll be sorry. Some minor dust won't be nearly as annoying as destroying the entire reflective surface!

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using one of these optical cleaning pens made for camera lenses. They have a side with a special brush and another with a microfiber head.
I use the brush to get the dirt off the reflector without harming it. So far it works pretty well.
I believe flashlightlens.com had them.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't touch it, you'll ruin the coating...

Dust particles won't effect the light, any...

-dan

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've screwed up every reflector I tried to clean. Same for most optics although I have been given a few tips that worked for my microscopes eyepieces.

One of the many things that I found so valuable with my first SF 6P over a dozen years ago was the fact you get a new reflector with each lamp.

Heck

Enlightened
Even compressed air has the risk of blowing some propellant or liquid onto the reflector. Blow bulbs for cameras sometimes shoot more dust on to whatever it's blowing. The only thing less risky is this compressed co2 made by american recorder which blows compressed co2 not in liquid form. However there were a few reports even these spat out some greasy substance......so as everyone else said, don't touch it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had some success pouring soapy water onto the reflector, and rinsing thoroughly. NOT touching anything !

Blow dry with a hair dryer on low.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Any stains left? I used pure 99% alcohol to rinse one before and it left me with patches of stains...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I clean my Mag reflectors after sawing them by rinsing them under the tap and shaking off the water, but I don't touch the reflective surface ever. Tiny little bits of dust may be attracted to the reflector after you rinse it out, but they don't compromise the beam and they're ok to leave there. The reflector still ends up being much cleaner than before with all the plastic all over it.