Dorcy Single AA: Easy To Use?

JAT

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in purchasing a Dorcy Single AA flashlight, for two fundamental reasons. Firstly, it is thick enough so that it seems to be easy to handle, especially for somebody of not particulary good dexterity, although it nevertheless looks as though it fits well in one's pants pocket. It is relatively thick, though relatively short, so it looks as though it has a good balance regarding ease of handling vs. ease of EDC.

Secondly, I like the fact that it is activated at the butt of the flashlight, so that it can be held at head height, in reverse grip, with my a forefinger and thumb capable of turning it on or off.

For those two reasons, I think I'm going to purchase one, unless somebody makes a superior model at a comparable price.

Thoughts?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Dorcys have proven themselves to be pretty good bang for buck, and sounds right for your purposes. I think you should just get it anyway cos its cheap and you're a flashaholic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

However, another alternative would be a MiniMag (modded with a sandwich or Opalec, etc) with a Kroll tailcap switch instead of the stock tailcap. You can use it in the same method you described, if you don't mind the extra AA batt length. The Streamlight Jr Luxeon is also of the same form factor.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Buy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It's a nice light for the money.

I prefer the Ultra/Ultra G, but that's because the Ultra seems to have higher quality construction, it's water proof and smaller. You can get the Ultra G from County Comm for $14.50.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Stanley's recommendations are right on too.

Of course all of our recommendations cost more money, but they are nicer lights too.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Dorcy. Just be warned that the 1AA 3LED is not really any brighter than the 1AAA 1LED. They run off the same circuit. The 3LED model will run longer thanks to the bigger batt and the LEDs being run at lower current levels and thus more efficiently.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Dorcy 1AA is real nice light, handles well and very easy to operate, much easier than the CMG Ultra and so forth. I suspect it's losing some light because of the plate with the 3 holes in it that the LED's shine through, but it has plenty of runtime. The construction quality is not the greatest either, but if you're just using it as a handy light around the house, it's fine. I gave one to my mom for that purpose (she had previously found an Arc LS too hard to operate) and she has no trouble with it.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and think the AA is brighter than the AAA. But because the 3 leds of the AA are recessed somewhat, ala the X5T, the beam is mostly concentrated in the hotspot, as opposed to the flood of the AAA. I like it; I use it as my reading light. At that range, it floods the entire book with a nice, bright and even light using cheap cells.

stockae92

Enlightened
i have both and ultra G

i like my ultra G the best, good spill, tough as nail, i can turn it on and off with one hand no problem (would be nice to have a clicky though)

then i like my Dorcy AAA for its good spill, great around the house, i don't really mind the ringy beam, unless you shine it on a wall and look at it. it doesn't matter too much to me.

last but not least is the Dorcy AA, its still a good light for the buck, it just ended up last here cause i like the other 2 more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not sure (don't remember) if I have Satin Taped any of my Dorcy 1AAA lights yet.

I HAVE done my 1AA 3LED and 2AA 4LED and it cleaned up a few artifacts in those beams with very little (none percieved) brightness penalty.

The 1AA is really a neat little light! Quite handy!

I don't carry it in my jeans, but often do in shorts or slacks.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Like both, but use the infinity ultra more then the dorcyAA. I do think the the AA is a little better throw then the AAA, so if that's ever a thought i would go that way.
I like the way the AA light's fit in my hand, small is nice but sometimes it's harder for me to work the light quickly if it's real small, one reason i like PT eclipse's better then say a PT pulsar or a photon/freedom on my keyring.

For just 5-7 bucks more an ultra G at county com, is a great value, on a tuff as nail's light, depend's on if you really want that back tail switch, or cold live with the twist front G. VDG