i think i am paranoid

rackness

Newly Enlightened
i just had to change the batts in my new e2e and in the body of the light i noticed that it was gold in color which i understand to be an anti-corrosive coating. however it is not entirely gold. there are some good sized machine (or digs not real deep but you can feel them) marks inside the body and they are silver down to the actual aluminum i asume. should the coating completely cover the inside of the body or is this normal? i love this light but i have never spent so much money on a light so i am just a little paranoid about it. i will be purchasing accessories for it ie led heads possibly an e2c adaptor. i just want to make sure this is normal before doing so because if it is not i will take it back and exchange it before i begin adding on. sorry for such a stupid question but it is really bothering me. if you all would be so kind as to check out any of your sf lights for a comparison i would greatly appreciate it. thank you. (i apologize for being such a novice) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DavidWong

Newly Enlightened
I never noticed that!!!
Now I've checked my E2e-HA, and I think I found similar glitches on the inside...

picture00002a.jpg

I'm quite sure I haven't damage the inside by myself...

rackness

Newly Enlightened
thanks for taking the time to look david. i guess it is normal, that makes me feel better. i knew i did not damage mine either i had never opened it before so when i did i was concerned. i have about 3 spots a good bit larger than that in mine but as long as it is normal i can relax. thanks again for you time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rackness

Newly Enlightened
162 views and david is the only one who looked? does anyone else have a similar situation or is this question beneath you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
The inside of my E2E looks rough and the gold color only goes part way down both ends and the middle is grayish.
Works just fine though. Now I will have to look in side every flashlight I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
The protective film placed by the chem dip is not always even. So having an even gold film entirely across the interior is not necessary to protect properly.

Some mistakenly think chem dip will protect from a leaky battery. Chem dip provides little protection at best. Alumninum forms a natural anodic film all by itself.

rackness

Newly Enlightened
thank you all for replying!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif whew that really makes me feel better that david and i are not an "isolated incident". lol. it must just be a normal happening in the manufacturing process. <sigh of relief> thanks again to all who looked.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i looked in an E2e and L4 i have, and both have the marks pictured in david wong's post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I just checked 2 E2e's, an L4 and an E1e body and don't see any "gorks" inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Chemical film is applied by dip or spray application and is more like a very thin coat of paint. It adds a little corrosion resistance, but I think it is primarily for enhanced electrical conduction at the tailcap threads and the face of the body at the front.

Larry

Heck

Enlightened
I've always knew there were marks in there, here's a different type of mark in my L5. You can see it's all scratched up at the base. It's actually more intense in person and it goes all around.

sfscratch.jpg

Topper

Flashaholic*
O.K. I looked at ; G2's,G2Z C3,Z2,Z3 M4,L5,L6.
I quit because my wrist hurts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
The E2E was the most noticeable followed by a green G2 most of mine looked slightly scratched. I have a few more to go but I will pass. Great news though I found my 2 PM6's I have not seen them sinced we moved! Still missing the Scorpion I really think it crawled off 3 months ago.

DavidWong

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
I quit because my wrist hurts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so fortunate for you to have so many flashlights to open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I don't have this problem, yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
DavidWong, if you hang out around here very long at all it is only a matter of time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the scratches on the E2e/L4 bodies looks like they might have been caused by some kind of tool used to install the pocketclip at the factory. no marks of that kind in my G2Z /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
My e2e has those same marks. CHAMENOS's theory sounds like a winner. One would think that if a manufacturer takes the effort to coat the battery compartment, they should also take the time to maintain the coating's integrity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif But that's just my opinion.

Oddly enough even though I noticed it right away, it doesn't bother me much. Because I personaly haven't had any corosion issues with any of my lithium torches.