Green Laser Newbie

wolfensteinx

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. As you can tell, im new here and had just recently became interested in green lasers. So, I've been browsing around a lot of site concerning the green laser. And frankly, Im quite confused. Well, leeme tell u my situation and I'll apreciate it very much if anyone could reconmend me a laser.
Im only planning on buying one green laser just for entertainment purposes. And sometimes when I go out door, Ill like it if the laser could actuly point to something in the sky like all those sites are claiming. Since, Im only planning on getting 1 laser, ill want one that wont break my wallet but above average. Right now I have on eyes on these 3 lasers
- BTG-6 <5mW Green LAser
69.00 ( 1.5 ~ 4.0 mW from factory )

-
BTG-6 Modified Green Laser
$129 "TRUE 4.99 mW"

OR LASTLY..

The <5nW Laser From THINKGEEK

Any by the way can someone tell me what this means Output Power - < 5 mW ( 1.5 ~ 4.0 mW from factory )<--i dont get the ""( 1.5 ~ 4.0 mW from factory )"" part

Please give me comment on the lasers i picked above or recommned me one. Thanks.
And leave my any comments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
i would recommend something like the MOD-2 from z-bolt.com, that is the one i have. it works great...and can really point out things in the sky, as advertised. but if you want to get that one, do not buy from the website...if you have an ebay account, you can buy a brand new MOD-2 for $89.99 [Buy It Now] Ebay Link, MOD-2
if the auction ends...he will put up another one, because he keeps putting up the auction, so you wont ever miss it.

sbk

Newly Enlightened
Hey, looks here www.abeland1.com

He has the same laser brand than z-bolt.com (leadlight), but the true 5mW laser cost only 79$. And the best, he has laser with bigger power (until 18mW), and not very expensive, but you have to send him a email for a password.

SunSlinger

Newly Enlightened
Hi Wolf,
The part about <5 mw & the 1.5~4.0 mw just means that the laser output varies from laser to laser within that 1.5 to 4.0 mw range. It supposedly won't EXCEED 5 MilliWatts.

When they're built, they're all slightly different & the output power can vary quite a lot. Unless the outfit that sells them actually tests them with a power meter individually, then they won't know EXACTLY how much power the laser they send to you is putting out. So they give the 1.5 to 4.0 mw RANGE of power outputs.

This is why it's a good idea to buy from an outfit that is well known here & gets good reviews on what they sell.
Z-Bolt and Abeland1 are well known here.

I have one from www.abeland1.com & it was individually tested so that I know exactly how much power it is putting out. If you get one that's at least 5 mw, you'll easily be able to see the beam at night for star pointing or having fun with it.

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
well the MOD-2 from z-bolt can be $89.99 if you buy it on ebay...so consider that also...if you want to

wolfensteinx

Newly Enlightened
ok. thanks for your great help lasersforlife. So i guess ill do a little bit more research on it but ill probably get the one u reconmended.
Do u have any pics for the laser? Also does it really point out things in the sky cause ill be using it for those kind of stuff.

thanks.

Uisgdlyast

Newly Enlightened
or you can go on ebay and get one from abeland for 60-70

Actually any leadlight on ebay should be good, just ask the person first if they test and dont pay 15$ for shipping

Myx

Newly Enlightened
just dont get a Lightvision 5mW....... the Z-bolt true 4.99mW Leadlights seem to be good - but you could just buy a leadlight on the cheap from ebay, then just turn up the pot a bit to compensate for the improved optics on a Z-bolt Leadlight.

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
here's a beam picture of my MOD-2 from z-bolt.
834717116105_0_ALB.jpg

picture is taken outside my front door at like 9:00pm. Also, no effects were used...and its hitting trees about 200 feet away.

if the picture doesnt show up, right click it, say "Show Picture" and it should work. If not, just tell me and i'll fix it.

wolfensteinx

Newly Enlightened
wow, 200ft away..thats pretty neat but if its not too much trouble could u take a pic of it pointing to the sky because thats my main purpose in getting this green laser. If not thats ok.
Thanks.

14C

Enlightened
I still have a MOD-2 from Z-Bolt and have fun with it. But from the other posters I have come to believe your best best is Arnold: www.abeland1.com

Good luck and have fun...

BTW, Craig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif wish I had that new yellow laser to shine on the boom=blastinf "A" holes in the parking lot..:)

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
Can of worms time! The person supplying these is Chris Tao, also known as Wicked Lasers. There's been a lot of debate on CPF over who the best / most reliable / most honest suppliers of green lasers is, and I won't bore you with the details.

Chris offers modified lasers. With a Leadlight pointer, you can adjust the current draw to increase the output. The eventual output varies greatly from laser to laser, depending on the alignment of the optics etc, but 45mw is possible, although you're more likely to average 30mw or thereabouts. This is still impressive - hell, even an unmodded <5mw pointer will blow most people away.