Help with first mod idea - music stand light

lymph

Enlightened
Hello,

I would like to make one of these run on LEDs. I'm thinking of making a small circuit board with a line of 3-5 white LEDs (not Luxeons or anything - something like what the Inova X5 uses) to put in the head and some sort of regulating circuit and perhaps a dimmer.

The problem with these (incan) music stand lights now is that they don't last long enough on a set of 4 AA batteries. I'd think that LEDs would last longer.

So, where can I find some low-ish power white or yellow LEDs? Is there a regulator circuit available that would suit this project? Perhaps one I can scavenge from a cheap commercial flashlight?

Thanks.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, how about THIS ONE for eight bucks or so?

Or THIS ONE with twin LEDs?

Lots of'em out there for not much money. But then again you might want the satisfaction of modding it yourself I guess...

Also depending on the power source and current bulb configuration (bi-pin would be ideal) you could buy a cheap LED from R/Shack and simply bend the pins until it matched the light's current holes and stick it in...

lymph

Enlightened
Thanks for those links - Looks like someone had the same idea. I might try one of those.

Either way, I probably will try and make my own. I'd like one that's regulated and perhaps of a higher quality. The dual-LED one looks like someone just soldered some leds to the bulb socket. Not exactly what I was envisioning.

What I'm looking for now is a regulator circuit for 3-5 of these leds on 6v. Anyone know of a cheap commercial flashlight that has one or a source for one?

unclearty

Enlightened
Funny..I have one of those on my workbench right now. I removed one of the AA's..gave room for the circuit board. Soldered 4 5mm white LEDs in parallel..epoxied the perf board strip into the empty socket of the original bulb. Works OK, but I just want it a little brighter.
I was thinking of removing one more AA, then modding a Dorcy AAA circuit board to drive the LED strip.

lymph

Enlightened
That sounds like what I want. It doesn't need to be overly bright for an orchestra pit. What type of circuit board did you put in the battery compartment? Is it a regulator or just some resistors?

dtlent

Newly Enlightened
Got some photos.
I'm interested in a similar type unit for a clipboard to be used for Technical director and technicians working a sound board, lights, audio/visual equipment, etc.

Thanks

unclearty

Enlightened
In a follow up to my previous post...I WAS using a little regulator circuit from Doug Owen, however, I wasn't happy with the total light output....greta run time, but just not quite bright enough. Sunday, I took it apart....soldered in a piece of flat brass stock into the brass bulb socket, and installed a 1 watt Lux emitter..direct drive from 3 AA's...used a dummy cell in one battery slot. I think this may be just right. I needed to let the epoxy set up so I couldn't leave it on too long.