Worklight

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
I've read these forums for about 2 weeks and so far I've learned a lot but I still wonder what you guys will suggest.

I'm looking for a LED light that I can use every day at work as a mechanic on a naval propulsion plant. So far I know that it needs to be brighter than a minimag. It needs to have a clicky tailcap switch and I'd perfer if it runs on AAs since I have quite a few NiMH AAs laying around. Finally, it should be able to handle a good dunking and have a way to holster it.

After reading these forums I'm considering the streamlight jr luxeon and the electrolumens XM-3. Any suggestions?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either one that you've listed sounds ok for the job. If you have a MiniMag already however, you should look at getting one of the Sandwiches from the Sandwich shoppe. They should run pretty bright, and for much longer than the SL Jr Luxeon as well. Oh, and get a Kroll switch to replace the tailcap on your Minimag and you have your tailcap action...

P/S: Where are my manners? Welcome to CPF!! Hope you enjoy your stay here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome prototype3a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'd highly recommend the UKE 4AA eLED, which i've been using myself for about three months now.

its extremely tough and durable due to the polymer body and rubber shrouded bezel (no dents or dings to worry about), and its waterproof (to 10 feet) as well. it has a clickie switch, and its rated for use in hazardous environments (UL approved), which might be ideal for your workplace. it comes in black or yellow the last time i checked, and you can purchase a nylon belt pouch for it if you wish to.

most importantly, its fully regulated, giving a runtime of about 10-12 hours on a set of alkaline batteries. in the past three months i've had it, i haven't had to change the batteries yet. with rechargeable NiMH batteries, it should last even longer, if its regulation circuitry is anything like the arc LS.

it isn't going to be as bright as some of the high-current minimag drop-in modules, but i've found it more than bright enough for most uses and especially close-up work. regardless, its still much brighter than a stock minimag 2AA. another advantage is if you manage to destroy the body, you can always buy a standard incandescent UKE 4AA and swap in the LED lamp assembly. and since its a commercial product, its also backed by a warranty. brightguy has it for $24.50 without shipping, so its pretty cheap by CPF standards too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the official website for it is here and you can read a review on it here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

p.s. hi stanley!

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I would second chamenos recommendation of the UK 4AA LED, plus if you have the money and can find one, I like the ARC LSH with the twin AA tube and Kroll clickie. It will run a lot longer than the Streamlight, Jr. (but at a much higher price!).