McE2S LOTC two stage switch DIY Kit?

cia

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide what I need to make my new Surefire L4 a duel output light.

In looking at the kit on web page

I will have a "clickie" switch and a standard E2o LOTC to work with.

What type of switch is better to use for the kit?

If I put the kit in the "clickie" tail cap does the switch no longer work as a "clickie" or can it still be clicked on to high power?

Also wondering how the light output is, the higher the resistor the less light output?

What resistor do I go with if I want the L4 to have the power output of a KL1 on low?

Does someone make a screw on gaurd for the L4 "clickie" tail cap or do I need to find a E2d tail cap to have the gaurd?

Is the kit hard to install?

Sorry for all the switch questions. I did read the link to the CPF post on that web site, but still was not sure about things.

Thanks in advance for the replies,

McGizmo

Flashaholic
cia,
This thread should really be either in the McGizmo forum or perhaps the Shoppe forum since you are referencing the shoppe itself. I will state that you loose the clickie feature when you go to the two stage, regardless of tail cap host. It is possible to use either the Z52, Z57 or the E2d tailcap to host the two stage module. You can also buy the McE2S tail cap itself and build a complete switch that will work on your L4. That will leave you with the Z57 as an option. You can buy the components to DIY or you can probably buy a turn key switch from the shoppe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I can also build you a complete McE2S. There are a couple related threads in the McGizmo forum.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
cia,
If you want a guarded tailcap that will just scew on with 2 stages, I would say get a "turnkey" Aleph tailcap from Don with either a 22 or 30 ohm board for $50.00 complete. The higher the resistance of the board, the lower the "low" output will be. I *think* that the 30 ohm will be closer to the low on an L1. You can always get a spare 22 ohm board with it and swap it out if you want something a little brighter on low. It's easy enough to change it.
If you want to use one of the caps you have, I would use the standard cap. You will lose the "clickie" aspect either way, so you might as well save the clickie switch since they cost more. They are not very hard to install if you follow KJ's instructions.

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
This thread should really be either in the McGizmo forum or perhaps the Shoppe forum since you are referencing the shoppe itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, sorry.
After taking a look at the McGizmo I see there is lots of reading for me to do.
May I also say your work is awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would say get a "turnkey" Aleph tailcap from Don with either a 22 or 30 ohm board for $50.00 complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't yet know what a Turnkey is, but I"m going to search and find out as it sounds like what I'm looking for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turnkey = ready to use. Just take it out of the package and screw it on.