NEW UPDATED PEAK SITE

KingSmono

Enlightened
Awesome site! The only thing I noticed and it started bugging the crap out of me... at the bottom of every page, it says:

Reviews by FlashlightRevies.com

someone forgot the "w" in reviews! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Allen

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one of their lights this morning. I bought the 5-LED standard brightness, single AA cell model.

Very nicely made, I like the fact you can unscrew the keyring attachment and have a flat tail for standing up.

I am kinda disappointed in the brightness, although that might just be the fact that I'm a little jaded and now everything must be "super bright" for it's size or I'm no longer impressed.

I will buy another although this time i will opt for the hi-brightness model, in either brass or probibly in Stainless steel in a few weeks.

GregR

sithjedi333

Enlightened
When are they coming out with the Luxeon version?! Think of all the dinero they are leaving on the table!!! They could be taking over the market while Arc unfortunately is having its production constraints.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double A, How does the brightness and runtime compare to our usual standard, the ARC AAA?
Is it regulated or does it dim quickly?

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Yes, they have made it easier to part with your money.

Just ordered another one of those brass beauties...

JB

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Alright, the pics of the "Snow" color led seems intresting, anyone know anything about these? My only complaint about my Mckinley is how blue it is, looks like I'm in for a new head. They've got a slew of colors now, also.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
carl said:
Double A, How does the brightness and runtime compare to our usual standard, the ARC AAA?
Is it regulated or does it dim quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a spot on the wall comparison with the Peak 5-LED standard brightness to a Premium Arc Single LED AAA.

I guess I should word it this way, I'm very impressed with the Arc.

The Peak has a hot spot that is about three times larger in diameter than the Arc's and appears to be the same intensity, but the Arc has a nice corona that is very large. I would "guess" the total light output is about the same.

Humm, the Peak did seem pretty dim, now it really seems dim. I figured five leds as compared to a single led, I dunno five times as much light? I can tell you now that I've compared them side by side, I'm kinda disappointed. I mean even figuring that the intensity would probibly be the same, the volume of light seems the same as well.

I don't have any figures on runtime, remember I just got this yesterday morning. OK, I just swapped batteries with a known good one that didn't make any difference. But then again the boost circuit should have compensated for that anyway I would imagine. Hold on, I just pulled out a standard incandescent mini-mag....sorry it kicks this Peak light's butt. Bummer that is what i was hoping for, the 5-led model to be roughly the same amount of light and knowing I would have a correspondingly shorter runtime.

How about the rest of you guys, how are yours? Did I get a defective light??????

paulr

Flashaholic
Double A, Arc overdrives its leds by about 100%, while Peak runs them within the manufacturer's specifications. So Peak's 5-led light should have about 2.5x the output of Arc's single overdriven led.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Double A, Arc overdrives its leds by about 100%, while Peak runs them within the manufacturer's specifications. So Peak's 5-led light should have about 2.5x the output of Arc's single overdriven led.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that seems logical. I will try another comparison tonight, when my eyes are more dark adapted. Maybe that will allow me to discern the difference. Then again, maybe not as the eye doesn't percieve in a linear fashion. I might add I bought the "Standard" brightness model instead of the "Hi-intensity" because I wanted these LEDs to last. I figured the "Hi-intensity" was overdriven.

Eh who knows? I still like this light, it runs off a single AA cell THAT was the primary reason I bought it. Don't let me discourage anyone else from trying it out.

GregR

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double A, thanks for your observations. I was thinking about getting a peak 3 LED 1AA but now have bought a CMG sonic AAA for $15 at Pocketlights.com. I may still get a Peak later.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's darker outside (and inside) and I did another comparison with my Premium Arc AAA (one led) and my Kilimanjaro (five led) standard intensity model.

The difference is between the two is more apparent at a distance. The Kilimanjaro does put out more light. Is it two and a half times more as paulr suggested, yea I suppose so.

At this point I'm not as disappointed with the Peak light as I am impressed with the Arc.

So maybe I will hold off on buying a second light. Peak has some very interesting concepts currently available like their double ended lights with different color leds on each end. What I would go for would be another single cell AA model with a 1W Luxeon on one end (30 minutes runtime would be fine) and a trio of 3-5mm leds on the other in white or red (with perhaps a 3-4 hour runtime).

Anyway take a look at their site they seem to have something for everyone.

GregR