Why doesn't Arc use a 3Watt led like HDS systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonbox

Banned
Why doesn\'t Arc use a 3Watt led like HDS systems?

Why doesn't Arc use a 3 Watt led like HDS systems edc?

Why does Arc use a 1.25 Watt led instead of a 3 Watt led?

Is arc reserving the 3 Watt for the Arc 5?

http://www.geocities.com/nonbox/

Elmie

Enlightened
Re: Why doesn\'t Arc use a 3Watt led like HDS systems?

This topic has been beaten to death.
The Arc 4+ rev. 1 has some 3 watters in them, however the brightness is the same as the 1 watt and less efficient.

Do a SEARCH and you can find out all the juicy details yourself.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

This is a pretty unfair question in my opinion. Besides nonbox, I didn't realize that HDS had a released product. When did that occur? I agreee, the subject has been beaten into the ground.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may or may not be a fair question, but it's definately an irrelevant one.

Peter

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why does Ford put a 4.6l engine in the Mustang and chevrolet a 5.7l in the Camaro?

Answer

Just Because,

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why doesn\'t Arc use a 3Watt led like HDS syste

Unless your driving it at 1 AMP+ it doesn't make a difference if you use the best hand picked 1W or 3W Luxeon.

Do you think Arc has a pile of 1W'ers and a pile of 3W'ers and just decides to put the dimmer/least efficient of the two in, just for kicks?

Flashlight Enthusiast

3-watters only are brighter at higher runs (it typically takes running at high levels to get the extra lumens out of a three watter). When driven normally, the three watter isn't brighter than a 1-watter.

However.....in my opinion the 3-watters do have better tint, on average. Of all the three watt lights I have, not one of them has a bad tint. I can't say the same for my 1-watters.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems that not only the topic has been beaten to death...

M_R

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Because the 'young man' Steve Jobs wants it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now thats a compliment,

Peter, when are you going public so that I can buy some stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif "ARC" would make a great ticker symbol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Edit:
Whoops sorry, already taken.. trading at $15.570

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nonbox, I think your question is relevent and I also had the same question. Several months before the ARC4 was released, Peter G at ARC stated his tests of the two LEDs showed that for the power levels he was planning for his ARC4, the 1W was more efficient and put out the same amount of light. If my memory serves me, he also found that the 5W was more efficient for the power levels he was planning for the ARC5, hence, no 3W for his lights at that time.
Note: I have noticed that whenever comparisons come up between ARC and HDS, there is some old emotional baggage that comes with it because we forum members had to endure several months of heavy discussion regarding the competition between the two companies. Hopefully its not a big deal anymore but just to let you know.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

1W are cheaper than 3W and produce identical results at the drive levels appropriate for a small light. Remember, 3W luxes are virtually identical to 1W luxes with the differences being thermal packaging to allow for drive levels as high as one amp. 1W Luxeons have been driven to 700mA and above and produce the same amount of light (at least to my eyes) as a 3W Luxeon. Why pay more for a Lux III? And at lower drive levels, a 1W Lux may outperform a 3W Lux.

As far as tint, the new binning system may have to do something with the "perceived" tint improvement in the Lux III's since they were released under the revised tint system. However, the 1W are now binned using the new system so tint should be identical.

Regardless of the answers, the way the Arc4 is made makes the issue of 1W vs 3W a mute argument. All the lights are culled for output/tint/efficiency.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

CM,
That was a very good and helpful post.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I haven't been keeping up with the development of the 4 and 5 that much, but I believe the 4 has a boost capability and also a (future?) 2 AA pack option. Having a 3 watt LED would help with thermal management plus it would allow a higher and longer output when operating in boost mode. The 2 AA pack would tempt the owner to use boost mode a lot more, particularly when rechargeables are used. Then, the only limit is how much heat the light, aided by the 2 AA pack, can absorb before overheating.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
CM,
That was a very good and helpful post.

[/ QUOTE ]

What LifeNRA said. Instead of my earlier (rude) post, I should have replied that this has been discussed here at CPF and the information is available by searching. Sorry for the smart *** reply nonbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif The question was not irrelevant, it's the differences between the 1W and 3W that are irrelevant, at least in this application.

Peter

SJACKAL

Enlightened

In all respect and support to Arc (I'm a fan!) Won't a 1W be hotter than a 3W on level 1 brightness?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am really surprised, thinking about it now, that so many CPFers would be so unkind to the poster. CPF is generally a very nice and pleasent place to be, where everybody is helpful. I don't want to see CPF turn into a place where you get yelled at if you miss an old thread and start a new thread about it. I can't stand forums like that. It makes people afraid to post, and then people don't talk about important things.

Status
Not open for further replies.