Lense Scratches: Normal?

JAT

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I purchased a Dorcy 1AA, and although I'm generally satisfied with it, I notice that it has numerous hairline scratches on the lens. Is this normal for small, inexpensive flashlights?

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I think it's probably normal for any polycarbonate to be slightly scratched right out of the factory. I'm telling you, that stuff will scratch if you look at it the wrong way..... By the time the lens works it's way through the manufacturing process and finds it's way into the assembled product, it's somewhat unavoidable. You might look for some sort of plastic polish if they look really bad.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JAT,

Welcome to CPF.

You are supposed to looking at things with your light, not look at the light...

I have several lights with similar lens and they are all scratched. It does not seem to effect the usefulness of the light, so I just ignore it.

Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
Cheaper lenses usually have scratches NIB. Mags are another example of NIB lights that sometimes have scratched lenses.

JAT

Newly Enlightened
The scratches aren't too terribly bad, but I was just curious as to whether they were unusual.

Well, no matter; the light seems to function just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts