Kill A Watt KWH meter = Cool gadget!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kill A Watt KWH meter = Cool gadget!

Has anyone else here ever used the Kill A Watt meter? I just picked up a couple and they are really quite incredible for about $30 shipped!

I was originally looking for some sort of inline ammeter for use on my Honda EU1000 generator when I found them. I had been using an AC line splitter and clamp meter, but this was cumbersome and I wanted a more integrated solution. Well the K-A-W is it, and much more. Not only does it measure the KWH of your appliances (allowing you to easily figure out how much they are costing you to run), it will also tell you: Volts, Amps, Watts, VA, Hz, and Power Factor. It is also apparently pretty damn accurate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A review.

Another.

Another regarding accuracy.

It seems that early models were not happy eating voltage produced by generators or modified sine wave inverters, but this seems to have been addressed in the current version. These meters would appear to be invaluable for determining the draw on small generators and inverters up to 1875 VA.

I just though I'd share what I though was a very cool gizmo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

Brlux

Enlightened
Re: Kill A Watt KWH meter = Cool gadget!

I have had one for several months now and I love it. I use it to moneter how mutch power I draw out of my solar power system. I am verry intreged with howmutch power different apliances draw in comparison to eachother. I have seen them on ebay for about $27 each plus $3-5 for shiping. Very usefull piece of equipment. I will probably get some more in the future.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can buy one of these for $29.95 (including Priority Mail delivery) here. This is the cheapest place (with shipping) that I've seen. If you want more than one, you can get a better deal at eBay for around $27 ea. with a flat rate shipping of $4.50 (also Priority) regardless of quantity.

Peter

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used the meters I bought to meter the refrigerator energy use, and they were the reason I went and bought a new one-
I calculated the payback time based on the numbers, and figured it wouldn't take long to break even, since the new one uses about 430kWH/yr compared to 1640kWH by the old one.
In actual use, I've been reading energy consumption rates of about 300kWH/yr, even lower than the EnergyStar rating, probably due to less frequent opening than the test average.
Interesting to see how much energy a full charge of your batteries actually uses up, so you can calculate what it's really costing you.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just purchased one via the Ebay link for {vulgar term for multiple feces} and giggles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Glenn

Enlightened

I have one that I purchased when RS had it on sale for 1/2 price ($20.).
I have used it for various things.
It is a GREAT UNIT.
I would not now like to be without one.

Glenn

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I considered these a while back but since Litfuse now has one, I'm gonna have to get one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, they seem like a good bargain for $30. It looks like it is capable of accurately measuring complex loads like motors, and as such is a worthy and useful gadget to have around.

CM

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I just purchased one via the Ebay link for {vulgar term for multiple feces} and giggles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're trying to save up some money, places like CPF are not forums to be hanging around on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Thanx to the Peter-Litfuse link, I also broke down and ordered one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

He'll probably buy more lights with the money he saves on electricity.

turbodog

Flashaholic

It let me know what is costs to run my computer 24/7 for a year.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

It let me know that doing a load of dishes in the dishwasher (with heated dry) uses 1.02 KWH of energy, and runs me about .08 (not including the cost of heating the water, which I'm sure is the biggest part of the picture). I was really suprised that it was so little, I would have thought it would be much more.

This meter is definately the the biggest bang that I've got out of 30 bucks lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened

I also ordered one, I think it will pay for it self very quickly when I prove the real costs of leaving stuff running.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link... I was looking for one of these a few years ago and could only find them locally for a lot more than $30.

-Mike

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I received my Kill A Watt meter today, and I am quite satisfied with its performance so far.
Two sets of LED Christmas lights use seven watts. And my DJ Laser Widow laser projector uses two watts.

The AC line voltage is 120.7, and the frequency is 59.9Hz according to the meter.

I haven't yet tried it with other products, but will do so when time permits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The instruction sheet is printed on very thin paper, but I think I can overlook that. The unit itself appears sturdy enough.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool deal Craig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've read that the K-A-W meter may not be the best tool for measuring such low watt draws though. In some forums I've looked at, they say the meter does it's best work on loads 10W and up.

I know what you mean about that manual, it feels like it's printed on Chinese rice paper.

I'm having a blast with mine- I've figured out that my Dell Dimension 4550 PC (17 in. LCD, 2 HDD) uses about $5.12 in electricity per month, in average mixed use. I never turn it off, but the monitor goes to sleep after 15 minutes and the hard disks turn off after 2 hours.

I am suprised by most of the things I've been measuring, I thought that they would be more expensive to run. I knew that the AC, water heater, and dryer were the power hogs, but I didn't realize that they really add up to probably 80% of my monthly bill. I still don't really know what the actual use is on them because they can't be monitored with the K-A-W.

Peter

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I plugged several items on an extension cord into it. A "fish lite" made with neon tubing, five or six sets of Forever Brights, and a compact fluorescent light bulb, and got a total wattage of 31 watts, or approximately 330mA if I remember correctly.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Strange they still haven't found a way to correct the error on the line frequency measurement. Everybody gets 59.9 Hz, instead of 60.
Interesting to see how much power you save by using a dark background on your PC desktop too-