Anyone into Slingshots?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I sure was as a kid. Used to get wrist rockets by mail order. Now here in MA, have to have a firearms FID card to have one.

Topper

Flashaholic*
A few months ago I was at Wallyworld here in Jonesboro
the guy in front of me had a wrist rocket and when the teller scanned it she asked for ID to prove he was over
18. I was semi shocked having worn out the tubes on a few in
my younger days. I had no idea they were restricted now days.
I guess I need to go buy some while I still can. I will go for the model with the 30 round clip with silencer and laser sights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif at this rate I wonder when
sticks will be restricted to over 18 before one can fall off a tree. Sorry Darrel I mean no harm.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Some of the dudes here have them. Mostly for nailing pidgens that live over the work area for the mechanics unit.

Early in the morning you can hear old ball bearings wanging off the aluminum. Firearms inside the wall would not be a welcome sound, but these are fairly quiet.

Some other guys made a funnelator. They use it for launching water baloons about 120 meters, over the wall and onto the MSR.

Are we having fun yet.

Jack Crow in Iraq

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone saaaay, slingshots? Very cool, I live on 6 1/2 acres and can fool around with them without worrying about harming anyone. I use this Trumark that I got at my local Ace hardware for $8.00 or so. It has a fold up arm brace and stores ammo in the hollow handle. I use 5/16" steel shot and the standard bands, you can be surprisingly accurate with very little practice.

I also have an old Saunders Double Eagle, which has dual bands. They discontinued that for awhile but have started making them again ..... here. Unfortunately, the new bands do not fit my older model. But hey, that's ok, they are cheap enough I could just buy a new one.

Your bands will last longer if not left in direct sunlight or kept where it's really hot like the backseat of a car on sunny days.

Mike

StuU

Enlightened
Have I got a slingshot? Yes. Several in fact.

Got an old Wrist Rocket. I've also got a new slingshot that is designed to throw a tennis ball for the pooch. It is 2 1/2 feet long with a lengthened frame. It throws a ball over 100 yards and our Chesapeake just goes crazy when he sees the slingshot being set up.

Several years ago, I was using a Wrist Rocket with .36 caliber lead balls for ammo. Those things *really* travel and have a loud report when they hit trees or anything hard. Range is around 150-200 yards or more.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slingshots are neat but I still want to get a trebuchet kit. Seige weapons rock!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have wrist rockets for most of my childhood, and afew years ago I'd bring one to the field for amusement. I wish I'd bought one before coming here. I'm sure I could rent it out to guys bored in the guard towers getting sick of the thousands of pigeons everywhere.
Even 15 years ago they were supposed to be restricted I think (I grew up in California though, a state where a baseball bat in your car can be considered a felony, and a flashlight a burglury tool).

markdi,
What is a compound wrist rocket? I've never heard of one. Is it sort of like a compound bow with cams instead of rubber bands? That would be so cool.

capnal

Enlightened
I have several, too. I love them. In fact, I keep one in the emergency / survival / oh darn back pack that does full time duty in my truck. Several years ago, my friend and I used to shoot them for hours on end. We got pretty darn good with them, too. Able to hit and break a beer bottle at something like 30 feet.

Great fun. can even be used as last ditch weapon for getting some food like birds and squirrels and stuff.

I have several of the Trumark brand. Probably the best one out there.

StuU

Enlightened
Just out of interest....I bought one of the first Wrist Rockets back in the 1960s. We were amazed at the new design and tubular rubber bands. It cost about $2.99 and came in a cardboard box. They had the original claims of 225 feet range on the side of the box. The bands on the original didn't last too long.

Before the Rocket, the only slingshots commonly available were the Whammo with big flat rubber bands which sold for around $1.50.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't remember who makes it, but I got one of those ones that have a protective plastics shield that goes up your forearm and get velco'd around your arm for stability. It works on the tube-band/pulleys concept.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i had one i got when i was a kid at a tourist trap place made outa wood with a hole in frame to sight i loved it

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made one out of a bike seat stem and some steel from a bike pannier rack. It looks kind of like the Barnett "Black Widow."

I just stuck a handle bar grip over the seat post, and made a wrist stabiliser out of more of the rack, with some webbing to make it comfy. I used speargun elastic and part of an old leather belt for the business parts.

Only problem is that the "prongs" are separate bits of steel, so no matter how hard I tighten the seat clamp on them, they eventually rotate with use, and it ends up cutting the elastic somehow. I need to bend a single piece of steel for it so that stops happening. Otherwise it works great!

PS the only reason I did this is because I can't buy one. They are illegal here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif