Inova XO lens help.

chiN

Newly Enlightened
Hey

I still a nublet at all this flashlight stuff.
But I just recently got a Inova XO and I noticed that there is a hairline scratch on the round bulb thingy inside.
Is that normal? I tried taking a photo of it for you guys to see but it won't catch the scratch. I can't really take it back to the shop since I lost the receipt.
And another thing, are there spose to be any moveable parts in it ? When I shake it abit, I can hear something rattling around inside. Not sure what to think of it.
Any help would be appreciated.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
Hi chin,

I own an Inova XO, just looked at it, and I don't see any scratches on the optics (the round bulb thing). Also, there isn't supposed to be any moveable parts apart from the switch, there's not rattling when I shake it. I think Inovas are covered by some kinda limited warranty, have you tried calling their support line for help?

chiN

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it still rattles when I remove the tailcap and batteries. I will try emailing Inova about it, I don't really want to call to the US from Australia.

Thanks for the help, if all else fails I guess I'll try taking it back to the shop.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received an XO3 that also rattles.

It may be that the internal collimating lens (the ringy thing behind the flat lens on the end) was not seated properly. This is the problem with the one I have.

You can tell by turning it on and shining it at a smooth wall. Look at the center hotspot disk. There will be a sharp cutoff at the bottom of the center hotspot, and a feathering at the top. Turn it 180 degrees and it shifts so again the sharp cutoff of the center hotspot is at the bottom and the beam feathers at the top. Also placing it on a flat surface and watching it carefully as you roll it along will allow you to see the internal lens move.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T1 has a scratch on the TIROS optic, but it doesn't effect the beam.

If it shakes, send it to Inova, that's not right.

-dan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just shook my Inova X0 both with and without batteries and tailcap, and no rattle was detected in either instance.

The optic (behind the lens or window at the end of the flashlight) appears to be a fresnel type; many circular grooves are present. But no linear (straight) cuts or scratches are seen.

Sounds like your Inova X0 is defective.
Time to send it in for warranty replacement.
My 2¢ here; your results may vary.