i think my ferret is sick

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i picked him up and he shakes like shivering kinda its like 75 in house i dont think he is cold. he is eating good .he is hard to wake but thats normal for a ferret they sleep like there dead

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is he? Also, do ferrets normally hibernate? Maybe his body is just gearing him up for that if they do hibernate or semi-hibernate. In any case, I hope he is ok.

Mike

rackness

Newly Enlightened
hopefully he is ok, but if you are not sure take the little guy to the vet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
id guess he is 2..maytbe he is cold. this si the coldest its been here thid year

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I found some information. The information that I found indicated a life span (huge range) of 5-12 years old depending on where you looked. So even at the lowest of 5 years, your ferret is not THAT old. Though they do not hibernate, they are primarily nocturnal. Appears that most of their activity is only for a few hours after sunrise, beyond that they hang out in burrows, some have been known to remain in the same burrow for up to a week at a time in the winter. So, change in season and temperature could be bringing this on.

It also appears they are prone to a variety of diseases too. Read more ...

here.

But do seek the advice of a vet.

Mike

d'mo

Enlightened
Raggie, My ferrets used to do that every once in a while. I asked a vet about it and they said it's nothing. I assume, like my buddies, it stops after they get up and moving about a bit.

I think it happened most when I woke them up prematurely. I had one for 13 years, the other for 10 and this happened a few times a week.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
My ferret does the same thing for a couple of minutes after she wakes up. Mostly it's if I wake her up. It's normal from what I know.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,

What's your phone number? I'll call you around 3am, wake you out of a dead sleep and see how lively you are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike