Opalec Newbeam vs TerraLux MiniStar1

Aux

Newly Enlightened
Interested in comparisons of these two. From what I read, the MiniStar1 might be a bit brighter and has a reflector, but the low battery indicator on the Newbeam is a neat idea (for a long running light).

Note, I am specifically _not_ interested in any of the Luxeon/1W MiniMag modules. I already have a couple of good, bright LED lights (SL Jr., TL-2), but in this case, I am looking for long runtime.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the 2, the Opalec would beat the Terralux flat in terms of runtime, i.e. 10 hours or so. Photonboy has a good point there too on the UKE 4AA eLed. And if you have a UKE 2L as well, you can swap the lamp assemblies between the 2 lights for about 7-8 hrs runtime on the eLed in the UKE 2L. Even smaller still would be the UKE 2AAA eLed, about close to 10 or was it 20 hrs IIRC? Else the Tek-tite Splashlite Led is also great for runtime and size, running 1x123 for approx 7-8 hrs.

Aux

Newly Enlightened
Let me restate my question:

I am interested in a comparison of the two multi-led MiniMag dropin modules - not a comparison of every other available light. This is an application where existing MiniMags will be used - not replaced.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Are we talking about the MiniStar 2? I don't know of a MiniStar 1.

Here is a quick and dirty compairison that I just did on my NewBeam and MiniStar2 using the same set of batteries in both lights. The footcandle measurments were made of the brightest part of the beam pattern at one foot.

NewBeam 41 Fc@1Ft Runtime about 10 hours
MiniStar2 235 Fc@iFt Runtime about 5 hours

The MiniStar2 was at it's tightest focus.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My bad....didn't know there was a MiniStar1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Aux said:
Let me restate my question:

I am interested in a comparison of the two multi-led MiniMag dropin modules - not a comparison of every other available light. This is an application where existing MiniMags will be used - not replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, my bad then... you DID say you were looking for long runtime in the above post... nvm...

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have neither, so all information second hand. Newbeam consumes 160 mA according to LED Museum; MiniStar 1 draws 152 mA when tested by Flashlight Reviews. I guess there is little difference in run time. The MiniStar 2 consumes 304 mA (LED Museum) so its run time is somewhat shorter. The Newbeam does have a battery monitor function though.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Call me clumsy, but I broke my Newbeam changing the batteries. It is especially fragile, so be aware. I wouldn't want to rely on the Opalec in a critical situation.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me confused, I can't figure out how you can break the Newbeam while changing the batteries.
After all the batteries go in through the opposite end from the Newbeam module and since you use the original minimag switch, the batteries don't ever come in direct contact with the module.
Also, the module actually seems quite sturdy to me. I've dropped my light often enough to scar up my minimag pretty bad with absolutely no ill effects to my Newbeam module.
Pat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

L

led_replacement

I have not tried the Opalec Newbeam or the TerraLux MiniStar1 yet. But I have tried the Terra Lux MiniStar2 Model TLE-5 which uses a luxeon star side emitter led. I was impressed with it's performance. I also have tried the Tektite LT-1 Ground down Nichia direct Mini-Mag and MiniMini-Mag led replacement which requires no modification to the flashlight or reflector. The current drain of the Terra Lux MiniStar2 Model TLE-5 was 300ma in a 2 AA Mini-Mag. The Tektite LT-1 had a current drain of 180ma in the same flashlight. I have not compared the runtime yet but since the current drain is less for the LT-1 it should last longer than the TLE-5. The TLE-5 is very bright and white in color. The LT-1 is just slightly dimmer than the TLE-5 and the same white color. Both flashlights can be focused very well.
led_replacement
http://www.led-replacement.com and http://store.led-replacement.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Krit

Enlightened
New beam is more pretty white. The soft light and usable side spill is prettier than Terralux. But Terralux is more throw.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I have both (or at least I did until I broke the Newbeam). The MiniStar1 is a good product and I'm impressed with it. It has four LED's as opposed to the Newbeam's three (OK, four if you count the red, low battery indicator). I never have understood why Opalec has not come out with additional products since they have such a good regulation circuit.

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MDM said:
Call me clumsy, but I broke my Newbeam changing the batteries. It is especially fragile, so be aware. I wouldn't want to rely on the Opalec in a critical situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you gave permission, I'll say it -- You're clumsy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Opalec NewBeam in a MiniMag is proven rugged and reliable. They are certainly NOT fragile. I still think it's one of the best, most useful all-around lights out there. I've owned probably a dozen of them; after the SureFire L4, it is my 2nd favorite all-around flashlight. The utility of the flood beam, the perfection of its regulation, and its superior runtime make it a well rounded champion. I especially like the little red LED that tells when the batteries are dropping, and am really surprised nobody else has copied that terrific feature yet.

The MiniStar1 is "semi-regulated". I haven't bought one and don't intend to, as I've found something that for me works great, in the Opalec -- and I see no need to try another product that lacks two very key features: the red warning light, and the pool-table-flat regulation -- and (according to specs at least) it is little if any brighter.

To your Opalec MiniMag, add a Kroll switch, some glow material inside the head, and a quality glass lens, and there you go. A champion in the making.

Cheers,

Dave

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Dave.
It's yet to be see a so well engineered LED light as the NewBeam. It is NOT fragile, Leds are driven at spec, they are good binned Nichia LED, totally flat regulation, broad temperature range, long runtime, undervoltage warning and protection. Also, the mechanical arrangement is the best I have seen among Minimag retrofits.
The NewBeam is two years old, and more specialized lights like the Gerber Trio are now cheaper and more rugged, but they still lack the undervoltage warning and total flat regulation.

Anthony