Nitestar 3w luxeon light

wreckmaniac

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the Nitestar 3w Luxeon Flashlight from goldengadgets.com looks like a cool little light. I suppose I should have asked before ordering, but any comments on this light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dale

Longbow

Enlightened
A freind traded his Arc 4 even-up for one. He said the Arc had a better beam pattern but wasn't as bright, and he felt the Arc couldn't be trusted because of the screwy switch.

mapson

Enlightened
I picked up one off ebay through goldengadgets recently, I really like it. It is bright but like others have said, there is a greenish tint to the light. Fine by me though, I'm happy with the light.

If you find it flickers a bit when you receive it, use a needle nose plier to tighten the inside AL ring a bit. Mine was a little loose and I had a flicker.

mapson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Mine does not flicker, and it has decent intensity, but it indeed has a slight greenish tinge to its beam.
I have a web page about it right here if you're interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read through most of your reviews to help pick out the lights I would like to collect. Great job you are doing. By chance, have you seen the runtime on the Nitestar? Or compared it to the Nuwaii Q3?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
mapson said:
I read through most of your reviews to help pick out the lights I would like to collect. Great job you are doing. By chance, have you seen the runtime on the Nitestar? Or compared it to the Nuwaii Q3?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the compliments!!! Much appreciated!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll start a runtime analysis of the Nitestar tomorrow morning, assuming of course I can find all of the necessary materials.

xoham

Newly Enlightened
Is it regulated? How much of that 8 hour advertised runtime is "good"?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Turning lab computer monitor on...rebooting in DOS mode...changing directory to where meter program is...turning DMM on...running RS.EXE...creating meter file "3NITE.ME1"...scaling to 600 seconds...positioning flashlight and PV cell...starting test...OK, the test is officially underway. Assuming I don't ***** the test by bumping something I shouldn't bump, the machine should poop out a chart later today.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I somehow managed to ***** the test, so I'm going to replace the batteries and start another test shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hmmm...this test looks a bit fishy too, guess I'll have to start another.
Third time's a charm, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
THIRD TIME'S A CHARM!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3nite.gif

Runs for 1 hour 55 minutes to 50% intensity, and 4 hours 50 minutes overall.
The test was stopped when the Nitestar was at approximately 4.5% of its original intensity.
Battery Station brand CR123A cells were used for this test.

xoham

Newly Enlightened
Well that sure is disappointing when compared with the advertised 8 hour runtime. I suppose it might still be trickling out light at hour 5 or so but damn, that is BS.

So anyone know of a 3 watt Lux rig that gets more regulated life? Don't care about batteries. Maybe something with 3 or 4 123s?

Thanks

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a larger light, but the Gerber LX3.0 costs $40 at batterystation, and runs (I think) nearly 4 hours to half power on 3 (cheap) AAs. Probably near that on nimh's as well (my LX1.0 runs over 9 hours to half power on 2000 mah nimhs). Tests say it's pretty bright, too.

Just a thought.

mapson

Enlightened
Thanks for doing the runtime, again, and again, and again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm happy with the almost 2 hours to 50%, and expected the advertised 8 hr runtime to be exaggerated.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
very interesting this graph... i think is regulated this light, or not?

ok the runtime is very low but this could mean that the led is a bit overdriven... in fact it output a great amount of light

wreckmaniac

Newly Enlightened
Ok..I got my light today. WOW is it bright! It's my first lux light so this was a surprise. I don't notice the green tint that was mentioned. None of my coworkers see it either..has the basic "blueish" tint of other white LEDs. I'm glad I got it. The purpose was to see a functioning Lux. Now I know that I want to make a dive light using 10 or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dale