Oops I did it again. (Variable brightness AAA lux)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.. i made a 3-way switch to control the lux AAA mod i'm working on.. pretty cool.. but what i would prefer.. variable brightness.. just dial how much you want with a pot.. impossible you say.. without modding the outside and no machining tools you say.. never say never.

Last night when admittedly i should have been sleeping I came up with an infinitely variable brightness solution for any light that screws on to turn on. I ordered the parts and will let people know how it works.. maybe i'll have to post a video of the changing brightness... I am working on a circuit that would 'step' the brightness in a few levels.. maybe 8..

I have this UI on my megasonic and i really like it, so i'm going to try it on my peak AAA mod... I will make one continuously variable that has a much lower minimum than the other one that will have a 3-way switch.. prototypes are the best way to flesh out which works better i suppose.

Well i was aiming to make the 'smallest lux' but i think i'll be happy with a AAA model that is 2w with either 3 or infinite brightness control.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might wonder why would this be useful, isn't 3 enough?

I wondered too, so i made the following spreadsheet...

luxaaachart.gif

Considering the 3-stage model will have 3 runtimes.. 31, 58, 110.. i rather like the idea of having my own anytime 'moon mode' that'll run for nearly 7 hours on a charge. I have a feeling that with a light just like this.. most people would not need another light. (hope they'll still want a minimighty of course).

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oops I did it again. (Variable brightness AAA

yes.. LiON AAA.. i wouldn't recommend going to 2W.. if i sell them for people they will be de-tuned to about 1.5W max which is fine, the battery can handle 1.67W constant.. 2W in my design is for showing off, not for daily use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The LiON AAA battery is designed for 450mA.. when i DD a jbinned lux3 from it, i get over 900mA.. that's 3.42W.. just over double the recommended max.. i don't know what burst levels are, but i figure 2W will be for 'burst' mode, and i can always just dial down a tiny bit from the top.

2dim

Enlightened

"...most people would not need another light."

Ah, the elusive 'holy grail'...

"2W in my design is for showing off, not for daily use."

C'mon now, we Canucks need SOMETHING for self-defense...

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

well notice i did say 'need'... as in like... nobody 'needs' more than a rusty chevy citation to get around... not that you would 'want' to.

I think the 2W actually could be used for self defense... hopefully not every day, even in canuck.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

last light you ever need? yes, there is one,

last light you ever WANT? nonexistent, fellas!

neg