• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 1185, 1111 &1274 ring-potted lamps for TL upgrades

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
1185, 1111, 1160 & 1274 ring-potted lamps for TL & SL upgrades

***NO LONGER AVAILABLE***

These are ring-potted Welch-Allyn lamps for the TigerLight Upgrades and also for the SL-20X and 35X; they are not bare bi-pin lamps, and they are not PR-base lamps and will not fit in a mag pedestal. They are designed to fit up the 3/8" bore of a Carley RF1940 reflector, which is the reflector used for the TigerLight Upgrade mods, as well as for the SL-20X and 35X mods. Below is a picture of a couple ring-potted lamps:

fixture_ring3.jpg

This scheme allows for the replacement of a burnt out lamp in a Lamp Assembly (LA) without having to throw out the reflector along with the lamp. It also allows the end-user to choose the degree of focus when he installs the ring-potted lamp in the reflector. Below is a picture of a ring-potted lamp installed in a 1940 reflector (one that has been modified to fit the TL): Note that these lamps do NOT come with reflectors. You MUST already have a 1940 reflector to make a complete LA or include one in your order. i.e. a complete LA equals a ring-potted lamp plus a reflector.

fixture_ring4.jpg

If you want to know more about how I pot the lamps into the fixture-rings, please see my Fixture-ring lamp potting thread.

If you need directions for installing and focusing a ring-potted lamp, please see this post in the B/S/T signup thread.

Due to WA price increases, the costs of the ring-potted lamps have increased over the prices in the first build run signup thread. They are now as follows:

WA1274: $9 each.

WA1111: $12.50 each.

WA1185: $9 each.

WA1160: $9 each.

1274 lamps will have a green dot on the potting compound; 1111, blue; 1185, red; and 1160, yellow.

I will also pot any standard WA sized bi-pin lamp that you send me into a fixture-ring for $5, plus return shipping. PM or email me for my address. Please note that the Aurora/Mule/Phoenix Osram lamps are too large to fit into a 3/8" o.d. ring.

Cost of reflectors is as follows:

Smooth or MOP 1940 modded to fit TL or SL-20X or 35X: $15 each. Please specify type and application.
Stock smooth or MOP 1940: $10 each. Please specify type.

A shock-isolation/fit o-ring and allen wrench will automatically be included with all 1940's ordered for the SL mods. Please request an allen wrench if needed for a TL reflector, otherwise I will assume that you don't need one.

Shipping for orders with lamps only is $1 for the first lamp, and an additional $.25 for each extra lamp. So, for example, three WA1111's would cost $1.50 to ship (plus the $36 for the lamps themselves). These will ship USPS first-class mail without any insurance or special services. If you would like USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance, this will cost $4.

Shipping for orders with reflectors and lamps is a flat $4 for any number of lamps and reflectors, WITHIN REASON. I do NOT want to sell large quantites to anyone. This whole thread is to offer a service to CPFers, not to wholesalers or resellers or other major modders. I would please ask that they contact litho123, or arrange something with me outside this thread.

For information on these mods, please see the summary thread. There are links in it to almost all the other threads. Or see (for SL mod) Phaserburn's hilariously titled Make Your SL-20X Un-Suck – KILLER Mod! thread.

I accept PayPal, but you will need to add 3 percent plus $.30 to cover the fees. This is for ALL PP payments, including those not funded by a credit card.

To avoid the fees, you can mail me a check or money order. Please PM or email me for my address, and also for my emai/paypal address.

Also note that you don't need to go through this thread or post to it, (although I would prefer it). I will respond via any and all lines of communication chosen by the owners of my TL mods and I will make a concerted effort to fill orders for spare or replacement lamps ASAP! I know what it's like to be without a working TL, and it's not fun.

At the moment I have plenty of all of the WA lamps, but please limit yourself to no more than 6 or so of any one kind so that spares are available for others who may need them.

***NO LONGER AVAILABLE***

Last edited:

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Jim,
Why wouldn't these ring-potted bulbs be suitable for a Mag PMR? Is it because the bore is different between the Mag PMR and the TL PMR? I'. getting some PMR from ufokiller's Group Buy. Those PMR is for the WA HID. Would your potted bulbs fit in those PMRs?

Thanks,
ernest

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
vacuum3d,

The PMR has a much larger bore to fit the standard mag pedestal and a ring-potted lamp could not be secured in it.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
OK. Thanks for the info. I want to play with these nicely potted bulbs, but I guess the ones I'll be getting won't work with them. If you know where I can get one of those PMRs that fit the Mag and can mount your bulbs, please let me know. I don't care about the pedestal. I can just chop it off that would widen my choice of PMRs.

Thx,
ernest

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
vacuum3d,

What you want is not a PMR, but a Carley Lamps RF1940 2" set-screw reflector, know as a "1940" on CPF. The PMR itself is just a modified 1940--very nicely modified, certainly, but it started out life as a 1940.

If you have a 1940, you can buy some of these ring-potted lamps and cut off the pedestal of the mag switch assy and solder wires to the electrical points, and add Molex connectors to the ends of the wires. See this thread for pictures and links and to buy some of the molex connectors, or wires that are all set to go.

Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have any 1940's to spare, so I can't help you out on that front. But I should have some soon. Would you like one? I can sell either a smooth or orange peel coated 1940 to you for $9 if you want one. PM me.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: 1185, 1111 &1274 ring-potted lamps for TL upgr

How long does the 1185 last on average, in a TL85?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr,

The re-rating formulas yield 11 hours of life (at 10.8 volts) to a 50 percent statistical failure rate (i.e. half of a large sample group will burn out in 11 hours, with some burning out sooner, and some later).

But, most of the failures occur when the Tiger85 is turned on shortly after being on the charger, or immediately, hot off the charger. In this case, the lamp is being driven at well over 11 volts and the inrush current due to the cold filament can cause it to blow.

Thus, if you avoid this by waiting 15 minutes or, better yet, 30 minutes after taking the light off the charger, the 1185 should last a good long time. 11 hours? I'm not sure. I'll say this: I have yet to have an 1185 die on me, with the single exception of a catastrophic failure where the bulb actually EXPLODED. This was caused by finger oil on part of the glass, which my cleaning/potting procedures missed. I put some good useage on my Tiger85 during field testing, too. Runtime tests, beamshots, walks at night, heat tests, and so on. Still it probably didn't add up to 11 hours. Who knows at this point, but I'm inclined to trust the numbers I get from the WA re-rating formulas. See the summary thread for these numbers for the other lamps.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Jim,

Paypal sent for four 1111's.

4x $12 $48.00
Shppng $ 1.75
Sub Total $50.00
PP $ 1.50
Fees $ .30
TOTAL $52.00

Thanks,
Brightnorm

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a note here in support of Jim.

I just purchased six ring potted WA1160's and 2 1940's from Jim.

The bulbs are immaculate, in fact, they are potted better than many of my Carley potted bulbs. They are PERFECTLY centered and aligned.

I am using them in a Streamlight SL20 with a 4000MaH battery pack. Jim's instructions on mounting the bulbs are clear and concise, and worked to perfection. (I did have to modify the reflector to fit the SL20 correctly. This was not Jim's fault and I expected it!)

I built this light for a reserve LEO and he was blown away by the improvement over the stock lamp. The beam is smooth, (I used medium Orange Peeled 1940's) and the spill is uniform.

The ability to focus the bulb so neatly makes the light look like a Surefire's light pattern, versus the irregularities of the stock lamp or a Magcharger.

This is an awesome service and a great mod!!!

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

I got around to installing the 1111 lamp in my TigerLight.

WOW!!! What can I say, this thing is bright.

I measured 46000 candela and that works out to about a 48% increase in brightness over the stock TigerLight lamp.

The KAN battery pack (I have #001 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )seems to have no problems driving the 1111 lamp. I got 28 minutes of runtime.

I think I have to agree with you. I like this lamp better than the 1274. I keep going back and forth, but can get a more useful beam pattern with the 1111. I really like being able to adjust the beam to the way I like it and then lock it in place.

What is the price for this increased brightness? Run time... The TigerLight lamp runs about 65 minutes, the 1274 about 42 minutes, and the 1111 about 28 minutes. This, by itself, is no big deal, but then it is 12 hours on the charger before it is fully charged and ready to go again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is no big deal if you use it for a short time and then throw it back on the charger, but for flashaholics we can't even get through a bag of marshmallows... Some day this issue will have to be addressed.

What is interesting to me is the 1111 seems to be very close to the SL 35X lamp (I love the beam pattern of the 35X) performance wise, but is a lot more durable. I have heard no reports of the 1111 insta-flashing hot off the charger.

Did I mention, this lamp is really bright!!!

Tom

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Just as a note here in support of Jim.

I just purchased six ring potted WA1160's and 2 1940's from Jim.

The bulbs are immaculate, in fact, they are potted better than many of my Carley potted bulbs. They are PERFECTLY centered and aligned.

I am using them in a Streamlight SL20 with a 4000MaH battery pack. Jim's instructions on mounting the bulbs are clear and concise, and worked to perfection. (I did have to modify the reflector to fit the SL20 correctly. This was not Jim's fault and I expected it!)

I built this light for a reserve LEO and he was blown away by the improvement over the stock lamp. The beam is smooth, (I used medium Orange Peeled 1940's) and the spill is uniform.

The ability to focus the bulb so neatly makes the light look like a Surefire's light pattern, versus the irregularities of the stock lamp or a Magcharger.

This is an awesome service and a great mod!!!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

This is high praise indeed! Thanks very much and I'm glad you like the ring-potted lamps.

Everyone else,

I still have plenty of 1274's, so I will sell these ring-potted lamps to anyone, but for the 1111's and 1185's, until I get more, I am reserving these for the owners of my TL mods only. vacuum3d, your order is reserved: no worries!

Also, I am going to edit the first post to include the following service:

I will pot any standard WA sized halogen bi-pin lamp into a fixture-ring for $5. You will need to send me the lamps and pay for the potting and return shipping. This is what bwaites did with the WA 1160's, since I don't have any of these

Thanks everyone.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jim:

PayPal sent for 2 potted 1111s. Thanks. Your TL11 is just awesome. It's hard to use anything else outside.

What do I do with the old TL battery pack. I'm afraid it will just go dead if I don't charge it, but I have no easy way to charge it and no real use for it, either.

Josey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Josey said:
Hey Jim:

PayPal sent for 2 potted 1111s. Thanks. Your TL11 is just awesome. It's hard to use anything else outside.

What do I do with the old TL battery pack. I'm afraid it will just go dead if I don't charge it, but I have no easy way to charge it and no real use for it, either.

Josey

[/ QUOTE ]

Josey,

Thanks very much! I'm thrilled that you like your Tiger11 so much. As for the stock battery pack, I suggest the following: every season take out the KAN1800 pack and install the stock pack, and give it a 14 hour charge; then take it out and store it away again.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no more spare WA1111's at the moment. Sorry. I will call WA on Monday about getting more. Given how long it can take for them to ship an order out, I think I'll buy 50 of these or something! I'm getting tired of running out of WA lamps. I'm low on 1185's too! At this point I'd rather be left sitting on lots of inventory than have to go through another experience of repeated delays and unkept ship-dates. Oh well. Comes with the territory I suppose.

Josey and brightnorm and vacuum3d, I will be potting up your orders very soon and I will PM you when they ship out. Definitely before the end of next week.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Thx Jim. I never made it to the Post office to send you the 1160. Some small disaster at work. I'll definitely send it off on Monday. However, if you have my other stuff ready before you receive my 1160, then please let me know. I hate to have one bulb hold up the entire order. Can't wait for the goodies to show up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thx,
ernest

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
vacuum3d,

No problem. I'll keep you informed, but keep in mind that I'm still waiting on the Carley 1940's which I ordered, one of which I am selling you. THAT will be what holds up the works, if past experience is anything to go by.

tutorbell

Newly Enlightened

Jim,

Interested in a few 1274's but don't have a 1940. I noticed you said that you have ordered some reflectors, any chance you might have an extra one to sell?

Bryan