135-Lumen Luxeon III

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I saw it, it's coming (end of Sept.), and it's available only in colors right now (Red-Orange, Red, Amber, etc.) but I predict the Whites won't be far behind!

Nominally driven (finally!) at 1.4A, one a my favorite ranges... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Breaking news brought to you by yrhmblsrvnt,

marcspar

Enlightened
Does this mean we are starting a new sign-up list for the Lion Heart Deux? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1. marcspar (fast track model in raw aluminum with red led)

2. marcspar (regular deliv. annodized with hologram logo and white led)

Marc

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what colors is it available in? If it includes the green/blues, then certianly white is coming soon. However, if it's just red/r-o/amber, then it sounds like a retooling of the AlInGaP family of luxeons.

It sounds like they've done some materials changes, since regardless of heat sinking, that family of the 1W luxeons maxed out at about 500mA, and would get dimmer due to excessive heat with any more current.

Do you have a source for this news? Datasheets? Press release?

paulr

Flashaholic
Those colors tend to have about 2.2 volts Vf, which means at 1.4 amps these are still 3-watt leds. They haven't found a way to crank up the power to the die in that package.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Those colors tend to have about 2.2 volts Vf, which means at 1.4 amps these are still 3-watt leds. They haven't found a way to crank up the power to the die in that package.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the current 1W red/r-o/amber, at 1.4A, the Vf would be around 4.5V+ (I've measured at 1A, and the "warm" luxeons have a mugh higher dynamic resistance), so 6.3W.

So is it really a "3W" luxeon, or a "Luxeon III" (which is the official designation)?

If they are pumping 1.4A into a red/r-o/amber, then they've changed materials to allow for the high current, and bring the Vf down.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
'Just sounds like a 3-watt red to me.

Lumileds' higher-power product lines have been lacking in the lower spectrum.

Tentou

Newly Enlightened
Putting together a few of those in an Amber/Orange combo would make for a pretty interesting emergency light, though. Hook it up to a car battery and burn through trees with it...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the LuxV's get-up-and-go has got up and gone. I hope the packaging and process tech improvements extend to the whites, but like they said, the AlInGaP family of LEDs are very different from the InGaN.... still I'm hoping they share enough in common.

The emergency light idea is a great one. Nobody's gonna miss a strobe that bright.... even in the daytime.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone think that it's possible they put 4 dies in there? Lux V style? Or maybe it's a bigger die? *speculating* 1.4 amps? That's a lot of current... if you have 4 x 1 watt R/O or Red dies.. it's 350ma which is.. uh.. 1.4 amps!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think they have a parallel 4 dies... like the Lux V. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Lux V is series-parallel - 2 series of 2 in parallel.

I think they figured out how to get the red/red-orange/amber dies to handle ~3W of power without releasing the magic smoke. Of course, we'll never know until they release a spec sheet...

Heat in electronics is all about watts, not current.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
they touch the 45lm/W? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

so the heat is less than the old 3W because more energy was converted in light and less in heat

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Heat in electronics is all about watts, not current.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...Watts (Power) has a relation to Amperes (Current), Ohms (Resistance) and Volts (Energy). So, one has to take all of them in to account.

Below is a nice graphic illustrating Ohm's Law and Power (Watts) formulas.

P= Power or Watts
I= Current or Amperes
E= Energy or Voltage
R= Resistance or Ohms

standard.jpg

Latest posts