Not Your Dad's 2D $5 Flashlight (pictures)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not Your Dad\'s 2D $5 Flashlight (pictures)

I am posting this at the LED Forum because I have a 4-Nichia white cluster overdriven to 60ma being mailed to me for this one. But for now it is, indeed, a *sigh* 2D plastic Ray-O-Vac that I found at Wal-Mart on clearance yesterday:
RoughNeck1.JPG

But WAIT, you say! How can I install a 4-LED cluster using only 2 "D" batteries, you ask? And you are correct -- I nearly passed this one by, but upon closer inspection I realized it was a 2D in disguise:
RoughNeck2.JPG

It is actually a 4AA light, so the LED cluster will work. But WAIT, you say! Then how come the light is so long, you ask? Well as it turns out, the other end is hollow:
RoughNeck3.JPG

RoughNeck4.JPG

RoughNeck5.JPG

But make no mistake about the price in the heading -- it was indeed only FIVE DOLLARS.

Will post beamshot comparisons with other LEDs when I get the cluster in and installed.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Not Your Dad\'s 2D $5 Flashlight (pictures)

Mr. Bulk:

Is the design of this flashlight such that if you bought to of them that you could put both of the battery containers in one light and get an 8-cell serial device? I fear that there may be a plastic divider between the top and the bottom from your picture.

What does the spring on the bottom of the battery pack contact? Can the contact easily be moved to the bottom of a second battery pack?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Mr. Bulk:

Is the design of this flashlight such that if you bought to of them that you could put both of the battery containers in one light and get an 8-cell serial device? I fear that there may be a plastic divider between the top and the bottom from your picture.

What does the spring on the bottom of the battery pack contact? Can the contact easily be moved to the bottom of a second battery pack?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a plastic divider molded in, making it two compartments.

The spring touches a metal contact that runs back up the tube to make contact with the bulb base.

The contacts are all riveted securely.

Why not just buy a Surge?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

If you load that up with batteries and then store the included multi-tool in it, I bet that sucker rattles like a pair of maracas when shaken.
grin.gif

Buy several and then use them as musical instruments in a band.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
If you load that up with batteries and then store the included multi-tool in it, I bet that sucker rattles like a pair of maracas when shaken.
grin.gif

Buy several and then use them as musical instruments in a band.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Craig, y'know I thought that very same thing too, but there's a "pinch slot" molded into the endcap that is sized to perfectly wedge the folded multitool into -- and the battery pack is pretty much suspended in mid-air except for the back which is spring loaded against the contact (of course I'm shaking it now as I type to make sure it doesn't make a liar outta me) -- so the only thing is the multitool must be inserted just one way to be silent -- do it the other way and you feel a sudden thirst for a cold cervezá.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr. Bulk:

I do have a Surge, but like to be aware of PR based lights that hold > 4AA cells in serial. The Surge doesn't lend itself to an 8-cell serial bulb. (At least I don't know what else to put in it.)

I really like the brightness and whiteness of my Carley 10 V 0.70 A T-2 1/2Halogen bulb in a #912 PR base. I'm running that in a Mag 3D with 3 @ 3.7 V rechargeable AA Packs that make it a 9 cell version. It would be nice to have a serial 8 AA cell PR flashlight and run a 9V bulb in in a Carley base in it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
Mr. Bulk:

I do have a Surge, but like to be aware of PR based lights that hold > 4AA cells in serial. The Surge doesn't lend itself to an 8-cell serial bulb. (At least I don't know what else to put in it.)

I really like the brightness and whiteness of my Carley 10 V 0.70 A T-2 1/2Halogen bulb in a #912 PR base. I'm running that in a Mag 3D with 3 @ 3.7 V rechargeable AA Packs that make it a 9 cell version. It would be nice to have a serial 8 AA cell PR flashlight and run a 9V bulb in in a Carley base in it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi lemlux,

Actually the plastic "wall" between the front and back would melt like butter under a Dremel. And the rivets could be drilled out to detach the bulb assembly -- then get one of those Radio Shack multi-cell holders that they sell for various electronic projects, and with a little judicious resoldering, possibly piece together the 8-cell serial setup?

Just an idea, as I'm not much of a modder myself (only plug 'n play).

Empath

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:

Actually the plastic "wall" between the front and back would melt like butter under a Dremel. And the rivets could be drilled out to detach the bulb assembly -- then get one of those Radio Shack multi-cell holders that they sell for various electronic projects, and with a little judicious resoldering, possibly piece together the 8-cell serial setup?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... Have you ever seen what a 12 volt lamp does to the Rayovac and Eveready type plastic reflectors?
shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Empath,

I agree. The smell of burning rubber/plastic is not good.

And that mod was not *my* idea. If they were to name a TV show after me it would be, "I Love 'Luminum". Was just trying to give him some info on the light via the questions he had...

(No matter what, the steel multitool would survive!)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Plastic reflectors are sometimes replaceable with aluminum. The question then becomes what wattage the lens and upper body / bezel can withstand.

Other peoples experience to the contrary, I feel that the Mag's battery chamber ID is not well suited for 4 cells per cross section. Accordingly, I'm interested in considering a flashlight carcass when it's cross section will accomodate 4 AA's and when it's battery chamber (actual and potential) can accomodate 8AA's or more.

I don't remember looking at this particular model at a store, so I didn't have a feel for where it stands on the temperature resistance scale. I'm not surprised that you both think it wouldn't withstand the heat -- You're probably right