My brain vs. Misty Ping

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brain Vs Misty Ping

Here's a little view to my rather impressive brain. I'm a pretty good thinker, at best average by CPF standards. What happened with Misty Ping and me is true. For the sake of intellectual honesty I should say I'm telling you this, not typing you this.

Monday morning at work I see an extra helping of SPAM from "Mortgage" and "Refinance" in the sender columns. We have no SPAM specific protection software so I use rules writing as a defense. I can't win but I can reduce them. The idiot SPAMS like "VI_aGaRah" and "Low Interist Loans" I can beat a majority of the time. Sometimes I like to go after the SPAMS that Cc addresses in my Global as they are my favorite battle. It's just a game I can't really win but the victories are sweet.

With full confidence I go about writing rules against this new batch of "Mortgage" and "Refinance" Spammers. I think I've got them because they come from the same [email protected]/net or whatever. The first rule fails and so does the second. "Hey. What are they doing? That should have worked." I study the options/header scripts and I try another 1 or 2 rules and they fail. Hmm. Maybe I need to research a little.

I find a helpful sight that tells you the normal stuff…don't search the body unless your emails are typically short. Yea, I knew that. Keep complicated rules addressing your C: drive as to not bog down the Enterprise server. Yea, I knew that...whatever. They also said in the writing of rules it was critical to avoid Misty Ping (all one word). OK I'll keep communication protocol in mind. I don't know how that's going to help. I write another rule that fails and begin thinking about the Misty Ping (all one word) thing. I ping the server and ping the domain controller…no problem. I'm thinking, "What is this Misty Ping thing?" I've never heard of it. Is it a new SPAM technique? I try three more rules and they fail too.

Well. It's Monday morning and don't want to continue right then. I'll come back after a fresh cup of coffee and a break. The nerve of them using Misty Ping. I minimize Outlook, the site is still up and my eyes go straight to the warning to avoid Misty Ping (one word).

"When writing rules in Outlook it is important to avoid mistyping."

Then it finally hits me. It's time to take an early break. Go home, change shirts and pick up a café latte then attempt my Monday again.

I hope you are impressed with the battle of my brain vs. Misty Ping. I should admit that all day I couldn't get the image of a gorgeous Oriental super star out of my mind.

- Jeff

Hey don't laugh too hard. You know me.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Good one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
duh.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
I'm thinking gregw has had some initmate and meaningful experiences with Misty Ping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of that going around when you do IT for a living.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif