Hundred year old EDC discovered

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the early electrical novelties powered by a battery was a simple stick pin with a miniature bulb. Wires connected the bulb to a battery hidden in a pocket or behind a scarf (tie). When the wearer pressed a switch carried in the pocket, the bulb flashed. "D" batteries powered the scarf pins. The scarf pin was a novelty when introduced, but users discovered practical uses for it, such as reading in dark restaurants or theaters.

http://www.geocities.com/~stuarts1031/flashlight.html

Isn't that exactly what some of us EDC for? And another thought, a *D* cell EDC, and people complain about 2 x lithium 123 today..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Though I'm wondering how long a D cell could drive a 5mm LED for. Energizer's datasheets say something like 18000 mAH for the D cell, characterized at 25mA - perfect for a small 5mm. Let's see, 720 HOURS.. or thirty days nonstop.

American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Co. of New York was formed to sell these new battery powered devices.Misell and Hubert assembled a number of tubular flashlights and gave them to New York City policemen in different precincts. As shown in the first catalog, by March, 1898, Hubert began receiving favorable testimonials from the policemen. Testimonials are statements from people extolling the virtues of a certain product. These testimonials were used in the company's literature to promote sales. Hubert was a great salesman and the publicity obtained by the testimonials made the public want to own a flashlight.

The brand name of the products was "Ever Ready". During the first few years, the name "Ever Ready" did not appear on the light. By about 1902 the name was on the light.

Let me rewrite that.. substitute American Electrical with Laser Products, "Ever Ready" with "Sure Fire"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fascinating webpage. Almost makes me wonder if I can slap a Hotlips in some of those old 2Ds with a BB917 and drive a regulated 5W Luxeon off 'em. The shock power of such a mod is going to be incredible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Thanks for posting that Kevin. Great link and very interesting reading. The lights of old were quite ornate compared to today's utilitarian/military look.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two more little gems:

A Sterling Silver prohibition era flask in the shape of a flashlight. The interior contains a glass flask for holding one's favorite intoxicating liquor, while the exterior looks just like a simple flashlight. Link here.

I know what to do with the OA4D now. 4AA-to-D holder up front with the switch and the Lux3, *ahem* BEVERAGE holder in the shape of 3 D cells loaded in the rear. Ain't that sick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The top two silver keychain lights, ca. 1920, use a single "AAA" cell while the bottom, ca.1940, uses an "N" cell. American. Link here

I didn't know AAA and N cells were made as far back as 1905 and 1940. Funny how the basic shape has remained unchanged between the 1920 AAA cell light and the 2004 ArcAAA... it is a real pity that it is now time for the ArcAAA to find its way to a museum as well.

And for those with significant others, check out the chick lights on the same page as the AAA light. Wonder if she'd be calling you a dork if you presented her with a Tiffanys light..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif