Favorite Recipes of CPF

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Please post your favorite recipes here! Here are a few of mine. I tend to cook a lot of "old" style foods (love those 40s and 50s cookbooks) and refuse to buy into the whole low-carb thing.

I also have a crapload of Crock Pot/slowcooker recipes and some delicious bread pudding recipes if anyone is interested.

CHICKEN AND GRUYERE QUICHE

2 1/2 cups of cooked white or wild rice
5 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 t. rosemary
1 cup cooked chicken, diced (I like smoked or roasted chicken for this recipe)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 small diced yellow onion
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 c. shredded gruyere cheese
1 T. butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix rice, 1 beaten egg, and 1/4 teaspoon rosemary until well blended. Press onto bottom and sides of lightly greased 9 inch pie plate to form crust. Bake for 10 minutes. In a large skillet, heat 1 T. butter and saute chicken, mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper until the onion is translucent. Pour into crust. In a bowl, whisk together milk and 4 eggs, pour into quiche crust. Top with shredded cheese and bake 50-55 minutes or until center is set.

PAM'S KING RANCH CHICKEN

12 corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes & green chiles
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked, diced chicken
Diced green chiles

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine soups, chicken and Ro-Tel until well blended. Line bottom of casserole dish with tortilla pieces, top with 1/3 of the chicken/soup mixture and then 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat layers (tortillas, soup mixture, cheese) and top with remaining shredded cheese, and diced green chiles. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

CHEESY MEATLOAF

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1 can tomato sauce
1 T. dried chopped onion
1/2 t. seasoned salt or garlic salt
1/2 c. shredded cheese (I like Cheddar-Jack blend)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients and 2 T. of the tomato sauce (reserve the rest) in a large bowl until well blended. Shape into a loaf and spoon into a loaf pan. Top loaf with remaining tomato sauce. (You may also top with more shredded cheese and chopped chives.) Bake for approximately 1 hour. Great left over on sandwiches, also!

BAKED CHICKEN PARMIGIANA

4 chicken breasts
1 jar marinara sauce
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Dip chicken breasts in egg mixture and roll in bread crumbs. Place in oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and top each breast with 1 slice of the Provolone, and pour sauce over all. Top with grated cheese and return to oven for 20 more minutes. I like to serve this with linguine tossed with olive oil and parmesan.

For a variation, use split chicken breasts and roll 1 slice of prosciutto and 1 slice of cheese inside each (after dipping in egg & bread crumbs), seal with toothpicks and bake as directed.

COWBOY BURGERS

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 egg
1/4 c. shredded swiss cheese
1 T. seasoned salt or steak seasoning
Dash of worcestshire sauce
1-2 T. (to taste) dried chopped onion
1 T. crumbled bacon or bacon bits
2 T. chopped chives

Mix all ingredients well and shape into patties. Excellent on the grill!

And, in honor of fall - SUPER SIMPLE PUMPKIN SOUP

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 cans (13¾ ounces each) chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine pumpkin puree, broth, water, butter, and cream. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir until blended, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese or seasoned croutons.

capnal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch it raggie- there's a guy with a meat fork right above you while you're winking at flashlight_widow!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
but i know ninetndo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok gets some eggs and make em all stired so the yolks are like all broken put in a good non stick pan thats on medium heat keep lifting up side a egg so the watery part moves under cook part ok the add ham cheease ans salsa the flip it in half

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the picky eater. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I'm sure I can find someone else who'd like to consume my soup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
Sesame Noodles with Chicken

We prefer the flavor and texture of chunky peanut butter in the sauce; in particular, we like conventional chunky peanut butter because it tends to be sweeter than natural or old-fashioned versions.

1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup Chunky peanut butter
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
5 tablespoons soy sauce _
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
2 tablespoons lightly packed light brown sugar Hot water
1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon table salt
1 pound fresh Asian-style noodles or 12 ounces dried spaghetti
2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
4 scallions, sliced thin on diagonal
1 medium carrot, grated

1. Toast sesame seeds in medium skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon sesame seeds in small bowl. In blender or food processor, puree remaining 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, and sugar until smooth, about 30 seconds. With machine running, add hot water 1 tablespoon at time until sauce has consistency of heavy cream, about 5 tablespoons; set blender jar or workbowl aside.

2. Bring 6 quarts water to boil in stockpot over high heat. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to 6 inches from broiler element; heat broiler. Spray broiler pan top with vegetable cooking spray; place chicken breasts on top and broil chicken until lightly browned, 4 to 8 minutes. Using tongs, flip chicken over and continue to broil until thickest part is no longer pink when cut into and registers about 160 degrees on instantread thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces and set aside. Add salt and noodles to boiling water; boil noodles until tender, about 4 minutes for fresh and 10 minutes for dried. Drain, then rinse with cold running tap water until cool to touch; drain again. In large bowl, toss noodles with sesame oil until evenly coated. Add shredded chicken, scallions, carrot, and sauce; toss to combine. Divide among individual bowls, sprinkle each bowl with portion of reserved sesame seeds, and serve.

SESAME NOODLES WITH SWEET PEPPERS AND CUCUMBERS
Core, seed, and cut into 1/4-inch slices 1 medium red bell pepper; peel, halve lengthwise, seed, and cut crosswise into Winch slices 1 medium cucumber. Follow recipe for Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken, omitting chicken, adding bell pepper and cucumber to noodles with sauce, and sprinkling each bowl with portion of 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves along with sesame seeds.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Flashlight Widow,

I am going to have to try some of your suggestions.

A couple of years ago I was chosen to enter a chili cook off at the Boy Scout summer camp. My friend Dave and I came up with this recipe.

It is called Meditation Chili because you think about it when you purchase the ingredients, think about it again while you are simmering everything, think about it again while you are eating it, and think about it once again after you are done (since no beans are used there is no excess gas afterwards).

We thought it was great and the judges agreed. Not only did we win first prize, but we were the first entry to receive a unanimous vote for first prize in camp history.

Here it is... enjoy.

Tom

Meditation Chili by Tom and Dave
Boy Scout Camp Meriwether Chili Cook Off
"First place and first perfect score in camp history"

2 lbs lean stew meat
1 lb boneless pork country ribs with fat trimmed off
½ lb pork chorizo
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
12 oz can Budweiser beer *
1 medium onion
½ chunked
½ chopped
1 bunch green onions chopped
2 Tbsp butter
4 tsp minced garlic or 4 cloves
8 oz can of diced tomatoes
4 oz can of diced green chiles
2 Tbsp beef bouillon (or 6 cubes)
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp oregano leaves
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
½ tsp Louisiana Cajun seasoning, to taste
½ tsp Louisiana hot sauce, to taste
2 tsp cornbread mix *
1 Tbsp warm water

Garnishes served in small bowls include:
sour cream
grated sharp cheddar cheese
chopped red onions
fresh chopped cilantro

* Optional ingredients include:
12 oz of water to replace the beer
1 tsp cornmeal and 1 tsp flour to replace the cornbread mix
2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Unsweetened cocoa

Trim fat off of meat. In a Dutch oven, add the olive oil, beef, pork and chorizo. Brown the meat, then cover and simmer over low heat until the meat is nearly done (over a low flame on the camp stove this is about 2 hours). Pour off all fat and juices except 2 Tbsp. Add the cup of water, chunked onion, garlic, beer (or water), can of tomatoes, bouillon, spices, and hot sauce and cook and stir until tender. Sauté the chopped onions and chopped green onions in butter and add. Simmer covered over low flame for another hour. 30 minutes before serving, mix the cornbread mix and 1 Tbsp of warm water and add to thicken. Prepare the garnishes.

Serve with cornbread. Makes 2 quarts.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:

[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the picky eater. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I'm sure I can find someone else who'd like to consume my soup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi There!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Flahslight Widow
Your recipies sound good. Here's a couple for desert.
Ice Box Cake
Two boxes Jello Chocolate instant pudding.
1 Box grahm crackers.
Mix the pudding as per the box directions. Put a thin layer of pudding in the bottom of a cake pan. Lay on a layer of grahm crackers edge to edge. Add another layer of pudding. Continue alternating till pudding is all used. Place in refirgerator for several hours, overnight works better. Enjoy and marvel at how such a simple thing can be so good. Other flavors of pudding can be substituted per taste.

Naughty no-name desert.
Bowl of rocky road ice cream
2 Table spoons milk
1 or 2 shots Baileys Irish Cream lequeur
Add the milk to the ice cream and mush into pudding like consistancy. Add the Baileys and fold it all together. Again, marvel at how something so simple can be so good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol my recipes are a tad less well writen as some of ya i dont realy mesure or any thing lol so here is one get some good big freash tortila shells this was insprired by a fellow cpfer then get cooked chciken or another cooked meat ya preafre minch it up.put in middle of totilla then added sharped shreaded chease a good slasa make ya own its easy or by some.and add sour cream all thease ingredints go in flour totiall shell then fold the sides over a bit and then roll so it looks like a burito if ya dont fold sides all ingreinet eaze out sides then coat with butter then put in goerge formans grill. to the flour has brown grill amrks and chease is melted good, then eat lol

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine and I made this one up:

Salsa Surprise

1 lb. beef or chicken, cut into strips
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 TBL oil
6 oz. noodles, spiral ones work well
1 med. red onion, sliced
12 oz. Salsa, Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic or Pineapple salsa taste great
1/2 cup beer

Mix meat, garlic, cilantro, and oil in a small bowl. Start cooking the noodles. While cooking the noodles, cook the meat mixture in a large skillet. Scoop out meat when done and set aside. Cook onion in skillet until soft and translucent. Add 1/2 cup beer, noodles (which should be done by now) and salsa to skillet. Mix and heat through for about 3-4 minutes. Add meat back in and heat for another 2 minutes until whole mixture is hot.

Serves 4.

Note: You can vary the taste by trying different kinds of salsa, meat, noodles, and beer.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
any one have a good way to make fried chciken with out haveing to buy shake and bake> like i know ya can do it with flour but some reason im doing something wrong the most simple the better. i got me some chciken thighs i wanna coook only was 70 per lb

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fried Chicken for Raggie
4 lb chicken pieces
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup canola oil or other high quality oil

Rinse and dry chicken pieces. Sprinkle lightly with a small portion of the flour. Set aside. Mix eggs and milk together. Add the salt and pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then into remaining flour, coating well on all sides. Heat the oil in a large skillet; brown the chicken evenly on all sides. Turn the heat down to very low, cover and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the thickest pieces of chicken can be easily pierced with a fork. Cover in habenero sauce and eat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
1 Grilled quarterpounder with cheese [full stop] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
FW,
Here in the desert you find some things are not easy. Like cooking in a tent. It's not in the rules.

Some things that are in the rules that do work.

Microwave pop corn, make it in the usual way, then shake in some hot sause. Tobasco or the like. I had some Korean liquid plutonium sause, that worked well.

Desert wine cooler
Keep in mind AMCITS are not allowed real wine and we have to make due with various N.A. subs.

Go to the px and buy some NA Wine. I like the burgendy. Get a 1.5L bottel of water frozen. Let the water stand for a while until about 1/3 is thawed, pour off the water, and replace it with the wine. Now the wine is properly chilled. Drink quickly and pretend to get a buzz.

Most likely the best meal I had here was Pork Chops. Which is too funney considering our cooks are almost all Islamic. What do they know about pork cooking that we don't?

As for Ramadan I sent this note to the rest of the team here. Remember Im ethenic Italian and Iraq aint real useful for people like me.

"Guys,
As some of you know...

Q What's the most dangerous thing on planet earth?
A An Italian with an idea.

Here is my idea.

For Ramadan, lets celebrate in a uniquely decedent way. I've got one pork Pepperoni left. What do you say we share it out?"

Keep it safe all
Jack Crow
not too deeply concerned about local issues.

In Iraq

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool recipe wolfen. jack i never heard hot sauce on popcorn but paramasan chease is good on it/

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
R,
Now that sounds good.

The problem with cheese in the desert is a lack of a fridge. I will see if I can steal some from the dining hall and give it a try.

My tent is lucky enough to have a fridge, but the microwave is in the office. About 300 yards away. Sounds like a groop effort. There is a microwave and free popcorn in the Chappel, much closer. (the back of the chappel tent has a lounge area. Consider it the camp's living room.)

Shake a little hot sauce into the bag (after it's been popped) and seal up the bag. Then shake the bag to mix the sauce into the corn.

You want to know what's a treat? Manny just some Reese's peanut butter cups from the PX. There has been no chocolate here because of the heat! It woulden't survive the shipping process.

later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq
down to 50 days