Will a Lithium damage an Inova X1 ??

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Has anbody tried putting the new Lithium AA's in an X1 ??

Anything good or bad happen ??

I would try myself but I'm too scared ..... Inova might disappear next week as well !!

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I asked the same question when I came on board. Inova's official position is that lithium batteries are not recommended in the X1.

However, several CPFers (including myself) have used lithiums without any problems.

capnal

Enlightened
I have been using the L91 lithium in my Inova X1 since I bought it. IMO I see an instant improvement over a standard alkaline cell. I also use the Kodak Oxy-Alkaline cells in there. Their item number ZR6. That, too, is a slightly over powered cell, although you might have trouble finding them.

Other than that, I prefer the Energizer E2 titanium, and the Duracell Ultra cells.

Aloft

Enlightened
I asked this question too. . . after writing to Inova, they stated that "use of lithium cells in the X1 was not recommended" or something similarly unambiguous. Like WallaceD says though, several CPFers have tried it with no ill effects reported so far.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting link P.

I'm still green and growing on the vine here at CPF and was going to start a post to see if anyone can recommend whether I should try a stronger pair of 123 batteries in my new Ombu X-33. (3-watt Luxeon) I was hoping to get a little more kick out of it.

What the heck are these Pila things I keep reading about? Are they a stronger/rechargable replacement for a pair of 123s?

PS BTW What the heck is an EDC light? (Edit: Every Day Carry. Doh!)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Pilas are rechargable lithium-ion cells with protection circuits built-in (prevent almost all instances of "explosive disassembly" failure mode). Like most lithium-ion cells, they have a peak voltage of 4.2V, a nominal voltage of 3.6V, and are exhausted at 3V.

Anything JS Burly says will supercede my statements. There are 2 basic sizes - 150 and 168. The ones that are swappable for 123s (I don't remember what suffix they are - "A" or "S") are the length of 1.5x or 2x CR123 cells stacked together.

Pila cells require Pila chargers. They're not at all cheap, but I hear that they're very reliable and can displace single-use 123s in many flashlights that use multiple cells without overly negative effects on performance.