Klarus        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning Stuff............

Flashaholic*

Default Burning Stuff............

How powerful does a laser have to be before i can start burning stuff with it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]?? Also can i get a unit like this in hand held form (pointer), where can i get one and how much would it cost?

Default Re: Burning Stuff............

Anything near a CDRH Class IV (500mW on up, easily cuts/burns stuff), you'll want to invest in a pair of safety goggles rated for the laser wavelength your laser emits at, BEFORE you start thinking about getting the laser itself.

You can *just start* to burn stuff with as little as 60mW in visible wavelengths, but you'll want at least several hundred milliwatts to burn things.

Flashaholic*

so can you get these units in a hand held form? and how much do they cost?

I have simple website set up to demonstrate the design of the ChangChun GLP-III (now called the PGL-III) green laser at http://laser.shiftlock.com. I've just added a video of this laser burning a hole in a plastic cup from four feet away in 8 seconds. It also makes newspaper smoke and burn in seconds from feet away. It will pretty much burn a hole in anything thin. Also frys ants. The power is supposed to be >50mW. I don't have a laser power meter, and I haven't had time to rig the green diode method, so I don't know its true power, but I would guess it's quite a bit more than 50mW. I know one of these lasers was recently measured at just over 120mW.

Chris the Laser dude was selling 1000 watt pulse 532 nm units at swap meet last year Mr Transistor and I were going to split and buy one but we seen it operate. It punched a hole thru a steel barrel in about 10 nanseconds. I had one of my bad preminitions about a hole going thru 4 houses so we BOTH decided it was too powerful to have toys like that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img] One the other hand we swapped chris a blue laser for 2 1 watt spectrolab 1024 nm diode emmitters. We hooked them up to drafting pens with fibir optic cable. 1 watt makes a very nice engraver/cutter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Plays REAL havoc on ant hills. Kinda like a death ray. Get some googles for the frequency of laser you want to fry with and be carefule what you aim it at. Make sure a BURNING ray is not reflected back to you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The 1 watt burns instantaeously and can be left on. It runs on 3 volts. Zapppp!

you can get the Big green from the Chinese if you are brave:
    http://www.viasho.com/next/English/532nm.htm

NikolaTesla [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

One othe word of caution. Burning lasers DO NOT like the smoke to get on the optics. Smoke is a solid particle that absorb the light. We found out the hard way and burnt a collimeter lens right off. Small muffin fan at discharge end helps keep smoke away. And keep the optic clean!

The laser pen red and green toys look real cool though if you have a smoke machine. You can get cheap ones from Music store (American DJ brand)

NikolaTesla [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Short Circuit

Nikola,,a thousand watt 532nm green laser are you sure??
    the largest we know of is a 120watt unit,,

Flashaholic*

I'm getting a 35mW from chris. obviously i'm not going to be able to burn stuff with it. right?

What i'm really looking for is somthing so i can burn stuff with in a pointer form, and the cheapest way out of it. I don't really want a laser cannon that i might kill myself with or others. And it would need to be portable.

Shiftlocks sounds more like what i'm after. Who suped up yours? or can you do it? also the best and cheapest place to get a changchun. i really just want to burn stuff, and yes i got some goggles comming.

i looked at those goggles and i don't think they would protect you from much...

It really depends on the material that your trying to burn, you can usually burn electrical tape

Flashaholic*

what goggles? i didn't say what type i got. you probably talking about those " military" ones on ebay. i'm not getting them! that guy couldn't tell me what wave length they protect against! He just said they are "broad range", which means he doesn't know. I like my eyes more than my wallet...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

yeah, i think a good pair of goggles would be over 100$
    Check some past posts, people have posted many sites before. Just use the search.

Also check you pm

Flashaholic*

any way. back to Burning stuff.The best place to get these units, the changchun?. who do i get to hotwire it? i've heard that dwight is is good. Any opinions on him? i really just want to lase stuff, ants and other bugs, newspaper etc etc. oh, and i don't want to pay hundreds of dollars either.

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    DaFiend said:
    I'm getting a 35mW from chris. obviously i'm not going to be able to burn stuff with it. right?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm i dunno, you may have a fair chance if you took the IR filter out...

not that Id ever advise you do such a thing! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you're gonna try it, as the guys have said - just make sure you have adaqute Eye protection.

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
    i really just want to lase stuff, ants and other bugs, newspaper etc etc. oh, and i don't want to pay hundreds of dollars either.

[/ QUOTE ]

that presents a bit of a problem then.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

why in the hell does it cost so much? would it be easier, and cheaper? to mod a a red to burn stuff or does that just not work? I just want to burn some stuff.

unfortunatly like me you have to pay the price, and i dont think my 45MW will even burn stuff when it arrives.. tho it says on site it will burn thru black bags.. dunno, ill give it a try on paper etc and let you know

[ QUOTE ]
    DaFiend said:
    ...would it be easier, and cheaper? to mod a a red to burn stuff or does that just not work? I just want to burn some stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is no way to modify a red laser pointer to the point at which it will burn anything.
    Some red keychain laser pointers can be modified to near 10mW by installing an extra button cell in them, but that probably isn't very good for the laser diode. Many will burn out; a few will achieve power levels of 7mW to 10mW when this modification is performed.

Flashaholic*

ok. so red is out of the question, which means i'm stuck with green. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] don't get me wrong, green is cool. but expensive [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img]

Stick a magnifying glass in front of the laser, put it near paper or a plastic bag and for god sake watch you dont burn yourself *runs away for giving him that idea* lol

Flashaholic*

sounds good and and bad. good cause it burns, bad cause its not really what i mean, and i dont want it to reflect and get me in the eyes! Thanks for the tip though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    DaFiend said:
    any way. back to Burning stuff.The best place to get these units, the changchun?. who do i get to hotwire it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need anyone to "hotwire it". It comes with more power than you will ever need right from CNI (Changchun New Industries). They claim it's >50mW, but that is very conservative. I know that some of them are well over 100mW. I really need a laser power meter. This laser is really not a toy. I use mine for sky pointing, and for that I usually keep it on setting 3 of 9 with NiMH rechargeable batteries, and even like that it's brighter than my Leadlight which has an output of perhaps 60mW (that laser is drawing 540ma after my latest mod, but had a 42mW output when it was drawing 309ma from Wickedlaser). The (new?) directions from CNI that come with the laser warn against turning the power above level 3 with fresh batteries, but I have briefly done it with new Energizer e2's, and it will painfully sting my finger (or my wife's butt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I know what CNI charges for these lasers wholesale, and I don't think you'll find one for sale retail for less than $500. Z-bolt is selling it labeled as >75mW for $595, but will not ship to the US:

https://secure7.nexternal.com/shared...l.asp?RowID=88

I recommend Paul at Bluesky Marketing because his customer service can't be beat. He's selling it for about $630 here:

http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=252

Unfortunately, you're looking for a high-power handheld laser for a cheap price, and I don't think you're going to find it. Your dream of burning bugs with light is going to have to wait, sorry. Then again, many years ago before laser pointers were even imagined, we used to do it with a magnifying glass! Yes, I'm sure the scent of fresh burning ant flesh would bring back memories...

Flashaholic

this is not about lights but the topic is burning stuff so..
    I heard somewhere that if you took the big fresnel(sp?) lens off them 40" or bigger projection tvs, that you could do some MAJOR burning with them.
    of course, I don't have an extra one lying around to try it out with..

Flashaholic*

are they those dumb projector tv's they have on ebay??? if so....... i got one of those.........

Flashaholic

I bought one of those big fresnel lens back in the early 80's when they were selling them to make your 25" TV into a 35". Works much better as a magnifying glass for burning. It'll melt thru an aluminum can in just a few seconds, and will make concrete pop off in little chunks. You see spots for quite awhile though if you look at it, even w/ sunglasses...

Flashaholic*

damn, i thought you could use your laser with it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. i tried it,(with my laser) but it does make some pretty patterns though. So you mean i need to take it out in the sun and use it like a giant magnifying glass huh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif[/img]

Just like in the old days of frying ants. but i still really want a laser to do it , but it looks my dream is going to have to wait....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

I thought that lens thing was a hunk of junk when i got it off ebay. I didn't even try and assemble it. but now i have found another use for it........... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Oh my goodness yes; it'll fry ants into lil flaming, flying pieces. To the best of my recollection, it doesn't focus real tight, maybe dime-size at best, but it does cook. If you have sufficient patience, you can wipe out entire ant hills w/ this, it'll burn 'em up as quick as they emerge. (Hey, I lived in FL at the time, & fire-ants are bad MF's. I have no qualms whatsoever about putting them down.)

Flashaholic

Let's see, going back to my old Solar Power college classes, good sun at FL latitudes is about 1 watt per square meter. The Fresnel lens I have is about 35" diagonal in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so ~588 square inches. 1 sq. m. is 1550 sq. in, so if we focus to maybe one-half inch diameter, that's .2 sq. in.

Works out to be about 3000 watts (3KW) at focus. Yeah, that seems about right. Enough to melt aluminum in seconds, pucker concrete, flash wood & paper, etc. Fun for kids of all ages... Remember to wear your shades.

Flashaholic*

my lens is only 12". does that mean mines going to suck?

Enlightened

I live in England.... does that mean that no matter what size lense I find..... its still gonna 'suck' ?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Flashaholic
    In the sticks of the Badlands of the East

Careful with "handheld" lasers that are noncompliant! The FDA is tracking them down!

PRODUCT
    Laser System, model CNI GLP-III green laser pointer. Use for industrial, scientific and research purposes. Recall # Z-0956-04.
    CODE
    No codes.
    RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
    Changchun New Industries Optoelectronics Tech, Co., Ltd., Changchun, China, by letter beginning on May 16, 2004. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
    REASON
    The laser product was found to be noncompliant with the laser product report.
    VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
    40 units.
    DISTRIBUTION
    WA, CA, and MN.

The story regarding the airline pilot that was flashed is only going to augment enforcement!

Beware! You have been warned!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast