What about fish?

DaFiend

Enlightened
would a fishes eye be as badly affected as a human eye if it was lased?? the have no eyelids and are underwater. Does the water have any affect?I'm not going to go out and start lasing fish, i feel its a pretty valid question........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
can anybody answer this question?There has been lots of views of this post. i'm curious cause why do they make laser pointers that are waterproof so you can point stuff out when scuba diving? the beam is obviously going to go further than what a human can see. So it would right in saying that you could be lasering a whale that you cant see???????? I AM NOT GOING TO START LASING FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaFiend

Enlightened
So, can anyone tell me why they have pointers for scuba diving and stuff? sea life would have to getting irradiated all the time.........

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
Fish are curious little buggers, and really react to green lasers - they all come swimming over to have a look. So if you're a diver, it's a good way for summoning fish to come and swim around you.

Try it in your local aquarium, but be careful - remember that the beam will be refracted so it's not easy to tell if you'll get reflections coming back at you from an unexpected angle.

And you'll catch all sorts of hell if you're caught - just try explaining that to the caretaker...

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a very interesting question. I can't see why a fish would not suffer the same fate as a human when lased in the eye - blindness. It seems that if using one near any creature (except perhaps those without eyes, and maybe potatoes), extreme care should be taken so that no harm is done. That means underwater that it should be shone only at non-reflective surfaces that you can see, so that it doesn't get some whale in the distance.

I think that just as visibility is usually limited underwater, the laser will be attenuated, and little visual harm will come to a distant thing that is invisible to the one with the laser. However, little is not none, and also remember that green light will travel farther in sea water than other colours too.

Play nice.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Blue-green light will travel best under the ocean. But unless you take an argon-ion laser (single line, 488nm) down there, you'd have to settle with a waterproofed green laser pointer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be something to behold, an Argon Ion laser in the sea!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened
Ah, but i thought the ocean isn't really blue. It only appears blue because its a reflection of the sky?

heh heh heh. This might stimulate some debate. or not.

I'll probably just get shot down.........

SunSlinger

Newly Enlightened
I've tried lasing straight down from the boat with my greenie.
Used it to attract fish while fishing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Did'nt seem to make much difference, according to the fish finder. Have'nt tried it at night yet...

Moths HATE greenies however, and Sparrows will chase the dot.