Surefire KL1

BullPar

Newly Enlightened
I burnt up the circuit board in my KL1. I have a 3 watt LED for it. Whats the best board to use in it? Thank you

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Badboy 500 would be ok, then you could only use 3 volt input.

K-T

*Moderator*
You could check the flow chart found in Dat2Zip's shop, this might answer most of your questions.

In the end it depends on what you are driving your 3W with and/or what you want it do do/perform. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BullPar, I'd suggest a Downboy converter coupled with a very low voltage Luxeon... probably H-bin. It's not at all difficult to locate H-binned 1W emitters at reasonable prices right now, and you can even find an H-binned LuxIII with some looking, though it'll cost more. With a Downboy plus the H-binned emitter, the emitter would run in direct drive on a single 123 cell and still produce good output, but it could also run on 2x123 and 3x123 for regulation and longer runtime. To me that would be the most versatile approach, short of getting your hands on another KL1 board.

BTW, PM sent! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beauty of the KL1 is its flexibilty. If you go with either a downboy or a badboy, you'll loose that. Although I'm not a big fan of the wizard converter, I think it's the way to go, if you want to keep the flexibility.

Go with a wizard 400 and the 1W lux and a reflector. You'll be really surprised at how much light this setup puts out. As far as efficiency goes, I'd imagine that it would be on par with the stock surefire circuit. If you go with the 3W, it should run nicely at 400mA.

If you want, PM me later and I'll see if I might have a stock board laying around some place.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, wait for the nextgen wizard which should get efficiencies in the high 80 to low 90's. IMO, I think it's worth the wait. The KL1 efficiency is around 60% if I remember some measurements I made a while back. In terms of runtime, you could get 33% to 50% more.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you're waiting for the nextgen wizard, you could just go with a T ranked K Vf 3W and run it DD on a Pila while you're waiting.

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
I would suggest a custom Wizard 700 so you can use 3 to 6 volt input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have such a beast? If so, what type of runtime do you see out of it?

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
nikon said:
Is this covered by the Surefire warranty?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that he burned his ciruit while using the KL1 in it's designed configuration, I doubt SF will cover that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I have never seen an unmodified KL1 circuit fail when used with either 1 or 2 132A's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ExMB said:
[ QUOTE ]
albert said:
I would suggest a custom Wizard 700 so you can use 3 to 6 volt input.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have such a beast? If so, what type of runtime do you see out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, i only have KL1 with stock circuit modded to 700mA with a TW0H and KL3 with stock circuit modded to 1.2A with TX0J. KL1 mod done by Tylerdurden and KL3 mod done by Chop. I'm very pleased with both of them.