NIW Surefire KL1, High or Low Dome -- How?

akula88

Enlightened
When lighted up, Surefire KL1 with 1-watt High Dome would produce a brighter and squarish hotspot, compared with purpleish Low Dome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But, when shoping online or without taking the KL1 from its sealed plastic wrap, how would you know that it is High-Dome?

Would I just take the seller's word for it??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Latest KL1's are supposed to have HD as far as I know, you cannot know until you fire it up though, there could always be old stock around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cia

Newly Enlightened
The new KL1 have a bezel like the KL4.
I had been waiting all summer to buy one and got tired of waiting.
I bought a Surefire KL4 instead and put a McE2S two stage switch on it.
Now I have the light output of the KL1 and KL4 from one light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

luxlover

Banned
I am so glad that you did. How is the 15 ohm board working out? Have you made a decision whether you will be getting a 60 or 120 ohm resistor board for that "how low can you go" super low output?

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
The new KL1 have a bezel like the KL4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct. If you do a search you'll find out that the picture on the SureFire website is -so far- not the actual product, as of now there were none of these sold, the actuall design is still the "classic" one we all know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Klaus.

Size15's

Flashaholic
K-T is correct.

The KL1-HA-WH is the one in Shelby Chan's photos:
DSC02554.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

The last batch of these produced featured 1W High Dome Luxeons.

The KL1 on SureFire.com is a new style and has not yet been released in white.
kl1ha_full01.jpg

[Shelby Chan Photo]

I'm sure when somebody gets one of these new style KL1's in white there will be a thread started about it.

Al

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
I am so glad that you did. How is the 15 ohm board working out? Have you made a decision whether you will be getting a 60 or 120 ohm resistor board for that "how low can you go" super low output?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 15 ohm is working out great.
Make a nice work light.
Not sure what McE2s is next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry if I posted wronge info on the KL1.
I know the new style that they show on there web site is not out yet as I wanted one really bad and could not get one.

Now that I have the L4/McE2S I don't want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good luck on getting the KL1 your looking for.

Size15's

Flashaholic
"I know the new style that they show on there web site is not out yet as I wanted one really bad and could not get one."

Preaching to the choir!

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Preaching to the choir!

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

akula88

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
Now that I have the L4/McE2S I don't want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Good luck on getting the KL1 your looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with LuxV is their supposed short life-span, compared with 1-watt. I'm not sure how <font color="blue">UNDER</font> driving would lengthen it. I have the L4, but the head (KL4) resides on an E1 body so that it runs un-regulated, underdriven and less 'hot'.

I suppose it's all up to one's usage. I intend to have prolonged continuous usage for the light. The KL1 I have is LD, so I'm internally debating as to getting a new KL1 or just have it modded to Lux3/Lux1-HD.

Regards,