Thoughts on providing future service for your Arcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have been working on various ideas on how to provide some form of ongoing service for Arc owners. Obviously, the company is no longer there to provide the kind of service you came to expect. I am sorry again but I would like to think of some sort of system to provide at least some type of assistance to Arc owners should they need it.

CPF'er "CY" has quite a few of the older Arc parts that he bought in an auction from us a while back. Most of these parts are obsolete but he has offered to help anyone who might be looking for a particular part. This is not free of course, you should make him a fair offer for the part you need.

Several CPF'ers are fairly handy with fixing and modifying Arcs. I would like to put together a contact list of people who are willing to repair lights. Again, they should be compensated for any work they do. If you would like your name on the official, "Arc Service Technician" list, let me know. Thanks.

Another avenue for service is through the, "Do It Yourself" help files posted here on the CPF. These files show how to perform the most common service needed by various models. I may be able to add to these if they need more detail. The image hosting will be worked out (a seperate thread).

And finally, I would like to see if I can post some drawings and specs for various parts here on the CPF. The Technicians can use these to fabricate replacement parts. This is mostly for simple stuff like retaining rings, contacts, foam pieces, etc.

And now for a personal request..

As far as anyone else continuing to manufacturer Arcs, I don't want this to happen. The reason is simple: The name "Arc" means that I made it. This has to do with my reputation. I will not assist or approve of any reproduction of any light that purports to be an Arc or made in the "likeness of Arc". If any Arc is to be made, It should only occur with my direct and close supervision. Otherwise, it is not an Arc and should not tread on my good name.

They say, "power abhors a vaccum". This means that competitors are hungrily eyeing all the posts in this forum where people say things like, "I wish I could buy and Arc", etc. They may want to cash in on your love of the brand. I say they should go build their own brand and leave mine alone. I do not appreciate anyone who would try to rifle through the grave cloths of my dead child.

Thanks.

--

The lastest version of the Arc-AAA and Arc-AA are fairly easy to service. According to our warranty reports, the number one reason for service was a leaking battery. The fix usually involved using a wire brush or steel whool to clean out the battery compartment. Very bad cases required a new battery compartment but those cases were rare.

Now, there were problems with some of the older AAA/AAs having off center beams, blue tint centers, flickering, etc. We replaced most of those already but there may still be someone who didn't take advantage of our service while we were in business. The fix for those people was to replace the light but that can't be done now. For those people, they could try selling the light for parts and buying a newer model if they can find one. The defective light could then be used for parts to maintain the newer models. Again, this is fairly rare so most people will just need an occasional battery compartment cleanup according to our reports.

For the LS series, it depends on the model. Real early models had problems with flex, flickering, etc. But again, most of those were either fixed or retired by collectors. With the newer models, the number one problem was the light being dropped on it's side and the LED being sheared as a result. This requires at least a new LED but could also involve a new PCB, optic and retainer nut. If someone is carefull, they can get into the light without ruining the retainer nut. The LED and optic can then be replaced using a stock Luxeon and NX05. If you loose the retainer nut, it will probably be pretty difficult to find a replacement.

Another problem the LSs have occasionally is the kroll switch getting fouled. This can be fixed fairly easy in about 5 minutes with no tools so I am not as worried about it. The procedure for fixing this is already posted here in the Arc forum.

The Arc4 was still pretty new and unrefined when we went out of business. Even so, the number one complaint was the switch, which fortunately can be serviced using various methods (see other threads here in the Arc forum). Other than the switch and the numerous symptoms it caused, the Arc4 was fairly stable. This is based on the extensive feedback we recieved from you in the past 9 months while the light has been out in the wild. I know some may disagree on me with this, but trust me, the overwhelming majority of problems that were reported to us were because of that dern switch. We finally got a fix and we were just weeks out to getting it in production but you know what happened. Same with the new software. I have talked to CY about providing the rev3 switch to Arc owners but it is not an easy project. CY has a simpler fix and you may use that of course, but the rev3 fix was the fix I intended for the Arc4. If CY does provide anything, it will be with my blessing so you can work with him confident that he is respecting my wishes.

I will try to organize this better so people who do need service can have several options at their disposal.

Peter

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Thoughts on providing future service for your

Thanks to Peter for shutting down graciously. And for offering to help support the thousands of ARC's in circulation.

I've already made my offer to support the ARC4 switches. As there have been almost no reports of electronics failing on ARC4. If the switch is protected, ARC4 should live happily for years to come.

The main problem with supporting ARC LS is a lack of boards. I'm in the proccess of fabbing a heatsink to accept a BB or MM board. This will require twisty to be milled deeper to make room.

I'm willing to mfg locking rings needed to support Arc LS's. I've got a good supply of the plastic support base for optics.

Please bear with me until I figure how this support is going to work.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its no wonder the other thread gained hundreds of posts in the 2 days after you made the announcement!! Even now you're still trying to place your customers ahead of you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif You are the man indeed!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Thank you Peter, again, and you have done all you can for now. I think you deserve a nice long break, so that you can come back fresh, bigger and better next time!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

P/S, Thanks to CY too for his selflessness for the rest of the Arc owners (i.e. almost all of CPF I think!!)!

Blikbok

Enlightened

The lifetime warantee lives on in the afterlife!

jtice

Flashaholic

Just another example of the type of customer service Arc has always provided.
Even in circumstances as bad as this, Arc still "shines".

Thanks for the offer to help CY,
So, you plan to make the threaded metal retaining rings also?
Keep me informed please, if you go through with this, I will want at least 10 to 15.
I might be intereted in the sinks also, depending on design etc.

Have you thought about actually threading the sink itself?
That would eleminate the need for a retainer ring at all.

-John

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Peter,

Another first in the flashlight industry: "AfterLifetime Warantee!"

Thanks

Tom

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do some molding and casting in plastic and metal, and am exploring the possibility of getting some rings or special heatsinks reproduced. It shouldn't be a problem getting them done, I don't think.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

cy

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:[/b Have you thought about actually threading the sink itself?
That would eleminate the need for a retainer ring at all.-John

[/ QUOTE ]

No threading the entire headsink would be too much work. a better idea is to extend the heatsink to support the optic or reflector, then use one locking ring.

or just thread a small portion of the heatsink.

Please note ARC ls w/twisty is one of the shortest luxeon lights made. even shorter than firefly. This lack of length is what make putting a heatsink in dificult without extending the twisty for more room.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

No threading the entire headsink would be too much work. a better idea is to extend the heatsink to support the optic or reflector, then use one locking ring.

or just thread a small portion of the heatsink.

Please note ARC ls w/twisty is one of the shortest luxeon lights made. even shorter than firefly. This lack of length is what make putting a heatsink in dificult without extending the twisty for more room.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could integrate the board and heatsink with the optic into one assembly, that would facilitate centering of the optic because it can be done before being put into the light. I think this is the most difficult thing to do when trying to put the LS together.

Peter,

What is the easiest way of removing the loctite from the threads? There's no use having the parts if we can't open up the light in the first place without having to destroy the retaining ring first.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

The best method I have seen for removing the loctite is to get it warm. This can be done carefully a heat gun or partially submerging the head in hot water.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic

I just saw this thread and want to agree with Stanley, and to thank Peter for his infinite graciousness in this matter. I do hope the remaining parts supply gets preserved somehow.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
If any Arc is to be made, It should only occur with my direct and close supervision

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope NOT without your autorization, BUT:

Are the ARC brands, logos, and trademarks still in your posession?

Pablo

RH

Enlightened
Peter,

I'm confused. Did they get the whole business (Trademarks, rights, IP, etc.) or just the assets at your building?

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Peter,

I would like to offer my services helping people fix damage Arc-LS's I know where to get the coils and have several in stock and if needed would purchase more. I've also done some board work like replacing the LT1618 chip on damage arcs I would gladly help any way I can.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just some of the assets. But there are many creditors. We have one secured creditor (the bank) that will ultimately get everything, regardless of any claim that the other creditors may have.

Peter

MichiganMan

Enlightened

Just keeping track for interest's sake Peter. Could you clarify your statement that the trademark belongs to Arc Flashlight LLC? I'm just a dense civil servant, ignorant to the ins and outs of corporate law and liability.

Specifically, Is Arc Flashlight LLC still in your possession, more importantly, is it safely in your possession?

Status
Not open for further replies.