NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Just got my Surefire L2... questions...

Default Just got my Surefire L2... questions...

I just got my L2 in (quickly and at a great price - brightflashlites@aol.com) and overall I'm happy with the light. It seems to be a little green tint wise, but here is my real question -

how do I know if this is a 65 lumen head, or the "new" 100 lumen head?

Box reads - Model L2-HA-WH

On the light, under the Surefire logo, it has a code - AO2147

Help!

Paul

Default Re: Just got my Surefire L2... questions...

I think they are all suppose to be 100 lumens on high. If you really have to figure it out, put some new batteries in, and run it on high until it drops out of regulation. If it's less than say 50 minutes, then it would seem to be the "100 lumen" output. Since at 65 lumens it would run for about an hour or so (i.e. 65 minutes like the L4).

Not sure about the output...

But I can tell you that the number is the serial number. In the case of my L2 (which I won in the recent "Bag of Surefire's" raffle here) that reads A01671.

The serial number doesn't really indicate age with regards to when in production it was produced.

That I'm aware of, all L2's are 100 Lumens on high...

Flashaholic

It makes sense that the L2 would be around 100 compared to the 65 the L4 produces based on the current the flashlights use.
    The L4 uses 900 to 1000ma with a pair of new CR123s, the L2 uses closer to 1500ma. I suspect having the power converter in the body of the flashlight allows them to drive the Luxeon harder without suffering thermal issues.

Flashaholic*

The L2s tested by CPF runtime testers get 30 minutes on high, with partial regulation (the output is no where near flat even when in regulation). I think this low runtime combined with partial regulation would suggest the higher figure of 100 lumen output?

The L4 OTOH, rated at 65 lumens, has no problem getting an hour runtime.

The L2's low output is significantly flatter. The L2 in my opinion is designed to be a low output long runtime flashlight with a high output mode for just like the 10X is designed to be.

Flashaholic*

^Yep, the low output beam has nice runtime and decent flatness. I find that the 15 lumen output is good for over 95% of my needs. The only time I ever use "high" on my L2s is to wow people. For common tasks though, I find the low output more than enough.

Thanks for the replies! I agree that 15 lumens is usually enough. Heck, my A2's 3-5 lumens is often enough. That said, the high output option is nice to have!

So actually all L2 are 100 lumens on high? Mine seems to be only as bright as a P60...

Will compare it to a L4 when I meet someone with a L4.

It's hard to compare Lumen outputs between incand and LED since the fuller spectrum light is taken into account when measuring incands.

It is my understanding that 65 Lumens is not the peak for a P60. Such unregulated two-SF123A lamps with a ~60 minute runtime (~5W bulbs) can peak over 100 Lumens so SureFire's rating of 65 Lumen, that I'm aware of is more like an average than a peak.

Al

when i compared the l2 and l4 side by side at a shop, it looked the same to me.When i compare the l4 to my prt head (db917) at close up, the prt is giving a slightly smaller but noticibly more intense hotspot.The prt is suppose to give 70-75 lumens of output so the l2 ive seen cant be giving 100lumens.On new cells and at equalsized hotspot, the prt is so bright that it can cover the hotspot of my a2(53lumens), even though the a2 is giving out a coloured oranged beam , im seeing whitish light mixed in also.So if a l2 cant even cover the hotspot of a 6p(equal-sized) like my prt to a a2, it can't be giving 100lumens.-i really think there might be a newer batch of l2 that gives 100 lumens when someones mentioned a l2 looked brighter than a l4.

Could it be variation between individual LEDs and bulbs of the flashlights you have?

I have an L1-PR-T with db917. They're supposed to give 70-75 lumens according to which integrating sphere?

The L2 I have has a much brighter surround beam and larger-but-not-more-intense central beam. If the L1-PR-T is 70-75 Lumens then the L2 is more like 100, if not more.

I have four KL4's and all of them appear to have less Lumen output then the L2 I have.

If SureFire rates their E2e at 60 Lumens an Arc's testing found it was like 80 Lumen (or something in that region I believe), and the L4 and E2e I have right here put out about the same amount of light then the L4 is about 80 Lumens so the difference between the L4 and L2 isn't that much but I can see the difference.
    From this I'd say the L1-PR-T is about 75 Lumens - appears to be about right although comparing different intensity beams is difficult in my experience.

I'm tempted not to get too bothered by Lumen ratings. The only way to know for sure is to get each light individually measured in a correctly set-up and calibrated sphere.
    Unfortunately I don't see many of these floating around.

Al [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hopefully this pic will help:

a2 vs prt twok(917ma).

Based on Fat's beam photo I'd have said they both have about the same Lumen output, perhaps the LED beam has a bit less.

What do other people think?

Lumens look roughly the same to me, at least not a difference than the naked eye could easily detect. I suspect the tints of the light are what are increasing the 'brightness' of one, with the incandescent having a yellow-white tint, compared to the rather blue one of the L2.

Edit: Maybe the corona helps some too? That A2 has a bit more spill than the L2 does, or at least it does in the photo (which doesn't take into account the sensor on the camera).

To be honest I could not judge lumen output by photos, they seem to look similar when trying to ignore the difference in color temp. though. :shrug. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Size15s said:
    If SureFire rates their E2e at 60 Lumens an Arc's testing found it was like 80 Lumen (or something in that region I believe), and the L4 and E2e I have right here put out about the same amount of light then the L4 is about 80 Lumens so the difference between the L4 and L2 isn't that much but I can see the difference.
    From this I'd say the L1-PR-T is about 75 Lumens - appears to be about right although comparing different intensity beams is difficult in my experience.

I'm tempted not to get too bothered by Lumen ratings. The only way to know for sure is to get each light individually measured in a correctly set-up and calibrated sphere.
    Unfortunately I don't see many of these floating around.

Al [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats very true, leds and bulbs alike can have varying lumens output even from similar batches.It isnt going to be practical to test out every one for accuracy sake.But i still cant help wondering if theres also a possibility of a scenario where old l2s are 65lumens,new l2s are 100lumens. i guess only the manufacturer will know for sure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

- i will surely want a brighter l2 if thats the case. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]