Arc4 going thru security at Sydney airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumlin

Enlightened
This happened about 15 minutes ago, I'm now waiting to board my flight. Well i took off all the metals on the body and as I was putting my stuff on the tray, the guy said, "What's that?" pointing at the Arc4. I told him that it's a torch and he took it off me. He pressed the button a few times on locked mode and so it flashed. He told me to put it in my check in luggage next time because, "it can blind people" I told him and I will and he said, "it's a surefire, is it?". I said, "sort of" and then moved on. I've brought my Arc4 thru customs many times and this is the first time I've ever been asked what it is. That guy even knows that surefire make bright torches and that is very rare over here.

mapson

Enlightened
Re: Arc4 going thru customs at Sydney airport

Interesting story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

should've asked him what his CPF nickname is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kind of absurd that he wanted you to check it because "it could blind somebody." A pen is more dangerous than an Arc 4+.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I hope you really didn't use the term "torch". One of my Wind-Pro lighters were kept because the dumb-*** from TSA that never had a high-school diploma considered that lighter a "torch".

zumlin

Enlightened

I'm now in Hong Kong, it was the airport security. I used the term "torch" because that's what they use instead of "flashlight" down here.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, i guess an arc4+ could temporarilly blind somebody if you hit max brightness mode right in front of one of their eyes at point blank range. At least they didnt ask you to torn over your box cutters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

That means set it always on a lower brighness when you show it the security people....
Hopefully the do not press long enough for full brightness....

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

your lucky he wasn't a CPF member, he may have confiscated it knowing that ARC is no more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

All the CPF talk and Surefire marketing crap about using flashlights to blind people was sure to lead to this. It will surprise me if we can bring any type of flashlights aboard planes a year from now.

mapson

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
should've asked him what his CPF nickname is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, if he were a CPF'er, he'd know Arc.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened

I agree with paulr.
as far as self defense choices go, a flashlight is pretty low.
A kubaton is much better.
I don't understand why LE magazines, surefire etc are trotting out the flashlight out to be a weapon. Yes, it can be used in conjunction with a firearm but as a sole self defense choice, not likely.
Anyway, I don't like the sound of it. "it can blind someone"
You mean permanently blind as in needing a cane, come on now.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two comments:
1).It is going to be tough to ban flashlights. Current FAA regulations require several to be aboard every aircraft, in plain view, and available for people to grab if needed, so it isn't like they are behind lock and key, or even a glass plate. They just sit in a holder, with a red that flashes ever 5 seconds or so..

Generally these are 2 cell C or D, and the batteries need to be changed on a regular maintenance schedule.

2). As far as weapons go, I will believer the terminally stupid agency, or other security agency is serious when they cease to allow the sale of glass bottled duty free on the aircraft or duty free. I'd have a hard time believing you can do much damage with an ARC flashlight, perhaps more with a 2D ma*lite, but neither is in the league with a 1 liter glass bottle of spirits. You can start a good fire with the contents, the bottle makes a nasty weapons intact, and a nastier weapon in pieces....

A lot of this stuff borders on insanity. Earlier this year I transported a couple or 406Mhz PLB's. Special arrangements needed to be made because of the lithium battery used in PLB's and EPIRB's. While there are problems carrying these and as checked luggage (it is illegal, they are classed as Hazmat), that doesn't alter the fact that the aircraft if it goes over water has to actually carry a bunch of the larger version of things (EPIRB's, with far larger lithium batteries) as a matter of law.... It's illegal to carry it, but it has to be on board.. Go figure....

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
I hope you really didn't use the term "torch". One of my Wind-Pro lighters were kept because the dumb-*** from TSA that never had a high-school diploma considered that lighter a "torch".

[/ QUOTE ]

Outside of the States, "Torch" is the preferred moniker. I had a "torch lighter" confiscated by a TSA nitwit supervisor in a dinky regional airport. "It is a welding torch" or some similar comment was his justification. "Only bic lighters are allowed." he told me. When I asked him if I tried to board a plane with a 1930's Zippo lighter would I be allowed he said no. I told him "Then you would be stealing my property." and asked for a complaint form.

He handed the evil lighter off to one of his cronies who put it in his pocket and thanked him for the new gift right there im my presence. Joke was on him though, it was dead and would not ignite anymore.

Vrt

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mattheww50 said:
Earlier this year I transported a couple or 406Mhz PLB's. Special arrangements needed to be made because of the lithium battery used in PLB's and EPIRB's. While there are problems carrying these and as checked luggage (it is illegal, they are classed as Hazmat)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it illegal to carry lithium cells as checked luggage ? Does it apply also to CR123A (12-24 pcs) ?

Malpaso

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Vrt said:
[ QUOTE ]
mattheww50 said:
Earlier this year I transported a couple or 406Mhz PLB's. Special arrangements needed to be made because of the lithium battery used in PLB's and EPIRB's. While there are problems carrying these and as checked luggage (it is illegal, they are classed as Hazmat)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it illegal to carry lithium cells as checked luggage ? Does it apply also to CR123A (12-24 pcs) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the
Kodak web site
"Airline passengers may continue to carry-on and check luggage that contains non-rechargeable lithium batteries for their cameras and other devices, including a reasonable amount of spare non-rechargeable lithium batteries."

This site White Paper says that "Packages containing more than 12 batteries or 24 cells must meet certain packaging, marking and shipping paper requirments."

So, what's the answer? Probably depends on the person you get at the security checkpoint.

Rudi

Enlightened

Meaning that the LionHeart is not suitable for air travel on account of its battery ???????

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

so you could not take your fully loaded surefire beast
with you as a carry on on a flight ?

Malpaso

Enlightened

All of the regulations seem to mention only checked baggage. To carry on anything is a crap shoot, depending on the airport and the security person.

Status
Not open for further replies.