Keychain Light

BENJOHN

Newly Enlightened
Hi from an obvious newbie to the forum. I think that this is the right place to find the best advice:

I'm looking for a bright, durable, water resistant or waterproof light for my keychain.

The new light will replace a little AAA maglight.

I've gone through two of the maglights.

I'd like the size to be roughly the same, but want, of course, to find the right balance between size and function. Priorities include: durability, water resistance, light output, battery life, and availability of replacement batteries.

Price is a consideration, as always. I'd like to be able to order the light, and have it delivered within 2 weeks.

Please let me know, based upon this information, what is the best light for my needs.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BJ

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definately suggest an LED of some sort - preferably one which accepts lithium batteries.

BTW: Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

(Now quicky hide your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until Tuesday, the Arc AAA would have been the light most people would point you to. Unfortunately Arc just went out of business. A real loss.

IMHO, the best alternative is from Peak LED Solutions . I'd recommend the 1AAA 3LED in the hi power version. It's brighter than the Arc, but has a narrower beam. A very nice light.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you act real fast, pocketlights.com might have a few Arc AAA's left. They are the best AAA light ever made of the type you're asking for. The manufacturer has sadly just gone out of business, so the remaining lights are being snapped up. Obviously you won't be able to get warranty service, but the lights have generally reliable, much more reliable than the Mags.

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
You will be amazed at what a piece of crap the mag is compared to these amazing little LED lights. Go for the Peak LED Solutions hi power snow white 3 LED version for maximum light and brightest white color. Well worth the money and they ship extremely quickly.

capnal

Enlightened
Let's not forget about the Docry AAA. Or even the Docry AA for that matter (although the AA might be bit much for a keychain).
These can be found at local stores such as Wal Mart and Target. Both are under 10 bucks each. If you get lucky the Dorcy AAA will even be under 6 bucks.
These are good choice to try out until you get your hands on a Peak or Arc. Chances are as you get into it, you will want them all!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was also going to suggest an Arc-AAA, but Arc went out of business a few days ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If you can't find an Arc-AAA on the internet, I too would suggest getting a Peak LED Solutions "Matterhorn" - a flashlight using one AAA cell and having three LEDs.
I have an evaluation of this flashlight right here if you're interested.

GoldenLoki

Newly Enlightened
Arc will always be what I think of first when I hear "keychain light". However since cost is a factor, that gives the nod to the PEAK LED aaa light. I'd go with the Type III HA 3 LED Hi-Power. The brass look good, but add too much weight. You can use NiMH rechargables for EDC (every day carry) or the new litium batteries from energizer if you forsee long storage times or use in extreme conditions. Peak also has VERY GOOD customer service!

It will be a real step up from the Mag.

GL

BENJOHN

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the help.

I'll clarify: it was a "Solitaire" light that I want to replace. I state that because I've found another AAA maglite that may be what you are basing your suggestions upon. The reason I won't buy a third is because the first two have been lost for the same reason: the body of the light has become unscrewed from the portion that was attached to the keyring, and so it fell off and was lost. Things like this, I see, happen to a flashlight that is on my keychain. Maybe I'll just buy another and secure it somehow if you have a good suggestions. Maybe I'll buy another and just secure it with an o-ring or a rubber band or another loctite way that you experts recommend.

I need a light that will be a last-ditch source of illumination. The hole on the solitaire is big enough to attach the lash that I need to secure it.

Should I count out all of the plastic squeeze lights?

Water resistance is key. Waterproof to 15m is desirable.

I think that the suggestions so far (PEAK) are too large for comfortable carry in the pocket. I don't need a kuboton accessory.

Have I really missed the boat on the ARC? Is there nothing else? Streamlight? Countycomm? I have no idea, but this is kind of important.

I don't have a Solitaire here to measure. Pity, but these others seem bigger, and I don't want a pocketful.

I envision a 1 LED light powered by a AAA battery that has a button on the back, and will twist on/off, is waterproof to at least 15m, has a hole for attachment, is durable, and has batteries that are found almost universally. Long lasting and bright light.

What am I looking for?

I have approximately two weeks.

BENJOHN

Newly Enlightened
I know that it sounds ridiculous to obsess over something so small as a little light, but I really do need something that fits the description. Thanks for your help.

2dim

Enlightened
Coastal Cutlery has LED Lensers that are very small. Some run on AAA and others watch-type batteries. Not that bright, but tiny and well-made. Perhaps you should google them and check their site. Good luck.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to move QUICK and find an ARC AAA.

The ARC AAA led light is nearly a half inch shorter than my Solitaire and is smaller in diameter. The Solitaire is in three parts (head, tail, body) which allows the tailcap to unscrew from the body the ARC is in two parts head and body and cannot unscrew from your keychain.

Peak does make an "N" cell LED light that is small and only 2.25 inches in length.

BENJOHN

Newly Enlightened
I'll move immediately.

WHERE???

I'll buy one on the spot as soon as I can find one.

It appears that this is what I want.

WHERE?

BJ

BENJOHN

Newly Enlightened
As an aside they haven't been for 4 days, or I would have gone that route.

Still, thanks man.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was only trying to help by pointing you to a source of lights. I myself have nothing for sale (you can double check the user names).

Guess next time I'll save the typing.