Would Different Batteries Brighten the Lambda Illuminator Even More?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I hear everyone referring to Nimhs and such, if I were to replace my AA alkalines in the Lambda Illuminator with another type of battery, would it make it even brighter? What about the 2D/3C DirectDrive LS MagLite conversion?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
I hear everyone referring to Nimhs and such, if I were to replace my AA alkalines in the Lambda Illuminator with another type of battery, would it make it even brighter? What about the 2D/3C DirectDrive LS MagLite conversion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From reading other posts about batteries, I don't think that NIMH would make it brighter. NIMHs are great because they are rechargeable and may have a flatter discharge curve when compared to alkalines. Still, I think alkalines beat out NIMHs in capacity.

Lithiums on the other hand will make your light run a tad brighter and last longer than alkalines.

Someone, jump in and correct me...

Aloha

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't timed the time before shutoff with alkalines, but my 1600 mah AA Rayovac nimh's last exactly 2 hours constant on with the Lambda.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, I am just looking for Brighter. As long as there are factories out there cranking out new batteries every day (the day they stop the world must be ending anyway) I will always take BRIGHTER and accept short run times (unless it's like 20 minutes...)

BigH, I cannot get hold of my distributor until possibly tomorrow at the earliest.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium (NOT Titanium!) AAs will make it brighter & last longer. Energizer makes them. They retail for about $5 a 2pack!
shocked.gif
Don't go broke!
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
Lithium (NOT Titanium!) AAs will make it brighter & last longer. Energizer makes them. They retail for about $5 a 2pack!
shocked.gif
Don't go broke!
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, big money for big light...Thanks Sean.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
You could try it, in my AA legend, 3 N cells and with a luxeon installed and a 1 ohm resistor my legend is about 85% as bright as lambdas mod, course the N cells have nowhere the capacity of the AA battery, you may get 15-30 minutes of bright light and then you need to buy 3 more batteries that are only sold in a two pack for $3.52.

Or you may get an expensive one time "flash"
shocked.gif

The N cells will only deliver so much mA, IMHO, much the same as the popular 12v battery I use in my AAA Legend and with the 6400 mcd Nichia LED.
The battery is rated at a measly 33mAh, and thats about what the LED draws.
You cannot suck an orange through a soda straw
wink.gif