Brass flashlight opinions?

paulr

Flashaholic
They sure do look nice. For a long time I wanted a brass Firefly, brass Arc AAA, etc. I finally got one of the Peak 1AAA prototypes in brass and it's as nice looking and feeling as I expected. But the thing weighs a ton, which I suppose I also knew ahead of time. A bigger light would be even heavier. I'm thinking if I really got a brass FF or Peak 1AA, then it would look great but I'd never use it.

Similarly, I'd been thinking of my brass Peak as a possible mod host for a Luxeon EDC, but it too would be awfully heavy. So (sacrilege!) I'm thinking of using one of the remaining Arc AAA's for that purpose.

How many here actually own brass lights? Do you use them much? Do you EDC them the way you'd EDC an otherwise similar lower-weight (i.e. aluminum) light?

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
I've got a brass N cell light from Brock on my keys right now. Yes, it is a little heavy compared to an aluminum light but this one is so small that I don't mind. My other brass lights don't get as much use, partly because of the weight but also because I have so many other cool lights to choose from.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My theory is, if my brass McKinley is in my pocket, my pants hang down lower than they would otherwise, AND I can't see the pretty light as well as if it's sitting out on my light shelf where I can look at it (and turn it on and shine it around in a dark room). So, no I don't carry mine much.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 of the Peak AAA's in brass...a single LED and a 3 LED. I use one or the other as an EDC...not too heavy to carry loose in my pocket...not nearly as heavy as the Swiss Army knife I carry. I just wish the beam were more of a "flood" instead of a "spot"...

JB

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's surprising how much heavier the brass feels, even if it's only a few grams. I got one of the Peak AAA red prototypes. Had not planned on carrying it, and probably wouldn't because of the weight. While I can forget my Arc is in my pocket, the Peak is just heavy enough to be noticeable. But, I do love the brass, just not in the pocket.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Have a brass UBH ... cool looking but too heavy. I only use it in conjunction with black parts which makes an awesome light, but with the upcoming BE3 and BE4 it will retire.

My McKinley brass one is a RGB light for show only and not carried.

So ... brass is a "no" except for collectors.

bernhard

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paul,

I have one of the Brass Peak AAA lights as well. I got it because I was interested to see what Peak was all about and to have an interesting looking light to display while being handy for emergencies.

It is a bit of a novelty item for me. I would not consider EDCing it because of the weight and the fact that brass will get scratched up easier. I must also say that my light has quite a bit of blue tint to the beam.

Tom

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Some time back I owned a brass UBH set. It looked great, but I came realize that lights that generated a lot of heat didn't work well in the UBH. The brass did not seen to transfer heat as quickly as Al.. I actually had C123 batteries actually shut down due to heat!

Rudi

Enlightened
Paul, if it's a small flashlight, then it all depends on how you carry it. In a side pocket or shirt pocket you'll feel the weight of brass, constantly, but in a coin pocket or belt sheath you'll never know it's there. Heat transfer may or may not be a factor depending on your pattern of use. I rarely use my lights for more than a few minutes at a time, so heat never becomes a factor.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted one but when I factored in the extra weight I decided against it.

To me this is similar to my beef about one inch diameter EDC flashlights. when I compare them on paper to my FireFly I & II they just don't seem that much bigger. However, when you get them in your hand or have to carry them they seem huge.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I have several of the Brass Peak lights, AAA, AA,
single 123 and double headed 123. I EDC the AA and trade off with the ARC LS, the Peak is heaver but I like the 5 LED AA for a all around light.

The double headed Peaks are great for having a different colored LED on each end.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Well Paul,

It looks like I'm about the only one strong enough to carry one of those two thousand pound brass AAA lights (I'm 60 years old but work out with barbells every once in a while just so I can EDC my Peak.

Make up one of those brass lights with a luxeon and I'll be proud to carry it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

JB

I love the brass and the extra weight doesn't bother me. It just feels like QUALITY. Looks great, especially after a polish, and on my Peak lights, the threads are SO smooth. Classy all the way around.

h_nu

Enlightened
I've ordered the N cell, AAA, and AA versions in hard anodized aluminum because I really want to find a suitable white LED EDC. Perhaps the brass pocket (not keyring) version is more suitable for keeping in a handy and visible spot at home. I may get one later.

d'mo

Enlightened
Keep an eye on Custom Mod BST over the next few days. You just might see something you'll like..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif