Best two AA lightweight flashlight?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello all...

I've been doing a lot of hiking. These are day hikes out in State Parks and the like. But I tend to wake up late, and start the hikes late, which means before I know it, it's often dark...and boy does it get pitch black in these parks.

Because I have no sense of direction, I rely on a GPS, which takes 2AA batteries. (For those that like these things the GPS is a Garmin Vista).

I have a a Petzl Tikka headlamp, and a Photon II light, but would like to have a real flashlight as well on these trips. I'd like to be able to see down a trail a fairly far way to make out if it's the right trail. I'd also like it to backup my Tikka just in case it fails (also this way I don't have to replace my Tikka batteries which are AAA every time I use it, but can wait until they run down).

So I'm thinking what makes the most sense is to get a two AA flashlight so that I can switch batteries between my GPS and flashlight in emergency, and carry just one spare set of batteries for both.

Is there a two AA flashlight that's bright enough? What does everyone think of the Princeton TEC-20? Is there another two AA flashlight I should consider? The fact that the princeton has the batteries next to each other appeals to me...I think it would be more convenient than a flashlight with the batteries one after another.

Anyone know of any multi-LED flashlights that take just two AA batteries?

Or is thinking it's safe to use two batteries a fantasy, and should I be using a four battery flashlight? I don't really like that idea, because then I'd have to carry four spares, but if it's the prudent option, please let me know.

Also how long do the bulbs in the TEC 20 flashlights last? Is it really just 20-25 hours or am I off base? If it is a short run time should I also be carrying a spare bulb?

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magic:
Anyone know of any multi-LED flashlights that take just two AA batteries?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We use numerous Luxbrites with big success. They are much brighter than the PrincetonTec Matrix (actually the few PrincetonTec Matrix users here ALL bought one or more Luxbrites afterwards). And as you know from your Tikka, a headlight is a nice thing for hiking...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, and this is really just my 2 cents, I would try to set it up so that ALL my equipment takes the same batteries so, as you mentioned, a set of spares for one works in another. Same reason that a group of hunters that go on a long trip in the wilderness should all carry the same rifle - interchangable parts.

For hiking I would try to keep everything AA just because they have decent capacity and are much lighter than C or D cells.

As for a light, if you are trying to spot a distance down a trail, I'd aim for (no pun intended) a good focusable or well focused durable incandescent. You won't be using it constantly - that's what your headlamp is for - just for distance spotting - something that LEDs are not very good at.

I'm an advocate of "cheap" lights ($20 and under) so i'd either go for a Rayovac Roughneck light or one of the Eveready Camp Lights. I LOVE the roughneck 2AA and have used it for spotting marker bouys for my skipper at 100 yards while aboard ship in the pitch dark of the Florida channels during a nasty windstorm. Focusable faceted reflector (no rings) and watertight.

Roughneck Camp Light

oscar

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if it is what you want, but you ought to have a Dorcy LED light. They are about $8.00 at Wal-Mart, run on 4 AA's and have a run time of 200 hours. Not as bright as an incandescent, but a decent light.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out one of the Princeton Tec AA headlamps that can take the LED lamp. It's heavier than the AAA, but it's not bad. It uses 3 white LED's, and has a very long run time, 20 hours is claimed. I put one in a Quest headlamp, and have had good results with it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tell me more about this Dorcy LED Light at Wal-Mart. I have never seen one but I do have a Dorcy 4 AA light that is very tough. The problem with 4 AA lights is that most of them shine bright for a short time but quickly dim down. And they are like little lumps as the 4 AA cells are arranged side by side.

Personally, I think that a 2 AA Mini Mag Light is your best bet. Tough. waterproof, reliable. I also like the Code 4 Jr with the red ligh option.

[ <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oscar:
Don't know if it is what you want, but you ought to have a Dorcy LED light. They are about $8.00 at Wal-Mart, run on 4 AA's and have a run time of 200 hours. Not as bright as an incandescent, but a decent light.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bkral

Newly Enlightened
I'd get the Tec-20. I'll admit that I rarely use mine, but for what you want I'll do OK. Mine came with the smooth reflector and the halogen bulb - the result is a very tight beam, much brighter than my mini-mag. (It does, however, project an irregular image of the fillament, like any smooth refector)It's output compares to a decent, traditional 2-D flashlight, but with less runtime, of course. It uses common flanged PR/KPR/HPR bulbs that are available at any store that sells anything that looks like a flashlight. And it's cheap, sturdy, waterproof, etc. I bought mine so that I would have compatibility with my Matrix - I can swap the smooth/faceted reflectors, halogen/krypton lamps, and the LED module back and forth between the lights. A nice idea, although now I usually just grab a Tikka and a PT attitude/rage for hiking since they're smaller, lighter, and both use AAA's. I don't really do anything that "high adventure" that I feel I need the capacity of AA lithiums or the sturdiness of the Matrix vs. the Tikka.

-BCK

oscar

Newly Enlightened
I heard about the Dorcys here and the next time I was in Wal-Mart I bought one. The light is bery bluish like Mercede's headlights. It is probably 6 inches long and about the same diameter as a regular light. It used one LED and they advertise a run time of 200 hours. All of my friends who have seen it have bought one. Next time I was there they were out, but last time they were back.