• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired KL1 and KL3 mods

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I was just rooting through some light stuff that I had and found some of the older type SO17XA reflectors and resistors that I had for doing KL1 mods.

What the mod consists of is the addition of the IMS reflector and, if desired, overdriving of the stock circuit to either 700mA or 1A (I suggest 700mA). I can also replace the emitter, if needed. This won't be necessary if you have one of the newer KL1's with a high dome and you like the tint of it.

If you're interested, PM me for details.

BTW, I do KL3's too. I can overdrive the circuit to around 800mA or 1.2A, swap the emitter and add a 27mm reflector to it. Well actually, the reflector is 27mm before I turn it down to fit into the KL3, but the beam remains virtually unchanged.

I just did a KL1 mod and posted the results here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=698807&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

***For you guys ordering mods from me. Please remember to use the note section on PayPal and make sure that you include a description of the mod that you are getting, ie., 700mA, Lux III, 17mm reflector. Also make sure that you include your CPF handle.

***I now have more of everything needed for KL3 mods. If you are interested, follow this link for more information. KL3 Mod Info

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1 mods

I want one! KL1 is on the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to get that latest hot-rodded KL3 with the Pelican Reflector from ya. I'll use one of jcciv's E2C adapters and put it on a Balrog 3x123 with an SF Z52 Lockout tailcap. It'll be a serious workhorse of a torch that can double as a knob-scobber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tony,
I have a KL3 / 1 watt / 700 mah / Fraen that I would like updated to Lux 3 / 1200 mah / PR.

Thanks,
Tim

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just for informational purposes. I've been doing the KL3 mods using PR's, and I was getting them from the Shoppe. It seems that the shoppe is now handling the McR reflector which is essentially the same as the PR, only better. I will now be using the McR in the KL3's because the PR's are unavailable.

OK, disregard the above. After looking into it a bit, I've decided to go with the Pelican reflectors, rather than the McR27. I know that the McR27 is supposed to be brighter by 10-15%, but the PR's have been working very well so far and I want to spend some time with a few McR27's before I start using them in my mods.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened

I would be interested in a KL3 mod with a Lux 3 as well. How much will something like this cost? Do you ever hear of any problems with this set-up?

Thank you.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm about to receive my third KL3 Lux III mod from Chop along with a KL1. My oldest son took one to the jungle for 4 months and a year later he still hasn't taken it off his "G3". It's running a TWOK at about 1200ma.

My wife took the other one and my "G3" and it has served her through 3 hurricanes. It's running a T-sumpin Lux III and runs on 800ma and uses a modified Pelican reflector.

It's almost like the KL3 was designed to run Lux IIIs at an amp or more. I don't know if there is another production bezel that handles heat as well. On a metal body instead of a nitrolon one, I think it'll be just that much better.

Chop's work is outstanding.

Britt

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goodies box arrived from Chop today and I took some quick photos. I inadvertantly had the camera in "outdoor" mode so it gave the photos a yellow cast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Chop's KL3 is screwed onto one of jcciv's (surefireparts on Ebay) E2C adapters. IMO, this is the best of the three different E2C adapters I've had. Once the light is assembled, all that is visible is the hexagonal faceted ring. I asked Tony to strip mine down to satin aluminum so you can see that 1/4" is all of the E2C visible and all that is added to the overall length of the light.

I then screw in a McGizmo Aleph nekkid aluminum 2x123 body and McE2S tailcap (60 ohm low). When I take this KL3 abroad, it'll be used with Balrog BE2 or BE3 bodies and an SF Z52 lock out switch.

You can't see the spill in the low output photo below, but it is considerable. I'll compare Chop's Pelican reflectored KL3 and my 38mm Aleph 3 outdoors tonight

standard.jpg

Low output
standard.jpg

High (1200ma) output
standard.jpg

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, I'm ordering another KL3 tonight and having it shipped to you. Also another E2C and a Z57 clickie. I'll PP you for it all when you let me know the bill.

Thanks again for the terrific modding of my KL1 and KL3 and all the other things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Britt

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britt,

With all of the stipping I'm doing for you lately, you're gonna have to start tipping me with $1 bills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll be waiting for the package.

Wave

Newly Enlightened
I just received my modded KL3 back from chop. It's running a much improved Luxeon(from that crappy green/purple stock SureFire) at 800mA using a pelican reflector. SWEEEEEEEEEET! You guys out there need to do this.
As for me, I'm going out to blind some perps tonight with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Raggie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Here are some quick photos of my Chop'd KL1 on the Aleph 2x123 with the 2 stage McE2S.

This combo is terrific for my tastes. Tony did a very good job with the reflector and centering and adjusting the focus with the Lux III. Very bright with good spill and excellent throw. No tint is visible to my eyes, any color in the photos is just me and my camera.

The two stage switch (60 ohm low) comes into its own in this combo. This is a very sleek and practical combination.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Below: On low
standard.jpg

Below: On high. T-sumpin Lux III running at 750ma.
standard.jpg

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Britt, is that KL3 HA or black? If it's black I have a spare balrog BE1.5 & black Z52 LOTC that would match up nicely I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, Wave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The difference is like night and day, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sigman, Tony is a superb stripper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I'll probably put a few dollar bills in the box with each order from now on.

Cyril, this KL3 is HA (III) "Natural". It looks charcoal-grey to me, but in the sunlight it maybe has a hint of green to the finish. But, I'm not sure, it may have been green reflected off the Crepe Myrtle's leafage. My rods and cones ain't what they used to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I took a shot of it outdoors in natural light and will send it to you.

Britt

Size comparison with very old MM:
standard.jpg

Wave

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
Congratulations, Wave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The difference is like night and day, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an understatement. So now I'm sitting here with a semi-useless Pelican M6 LED... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:

Sigman, Tony is a superb stripper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I'll probably put a few dollar bills in the box with each order from now on.

Cyril, this KL3 is HA (III) "Natural". It looks charcoal-grey to me, but in the sunlight it maybe has a hint of green to the finish. But, I'm not sure, it may have been green reflected off the Crepe Myrtle's leafage. My rods and cones ain't what they used to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I took a shot of it outdoors in natural light and will send it to you.

Britt

Size comparison with very old MM:
standard.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, must be due to staring at all those bright lights too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif No problem Britt, I was just trying to make a sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif