Imalent        

Thread: 5w Luxeon array

Default 5w Luxeon array

Okay, I'm back to my original project goal. I want to make a dive light using an external battery pack. From what I've figured I'll need about 20 of the 10 of the 5w luxeons to get what I want...over 1000 lumens. What do you think the viability of that is? I have already built a halogen light head using an external battery pack so my battery pack is water proof to at least 245 ft. Am I crazy or what?

Dale

Default Re: 5w Luxeon array

SOunds plausible. You probably would'nt be able to turn it on for long above water but under water, depending on the design, you'd have a lice bright light. How are you going to mount the LuxV's? Will you be using some sort of optic/reflector?

HB

Flashaholic*

Just MHO, but the Luxeon package is really set up to deal with not much more than the 5 watts / star. You can obtain much of the output of a 5 watt setup by over driving a 3 watt, at a much lower cost / Lumen.

If your primary purpose for the light is "sight" vs "photography" then I suggest you consider using cyan instead of white, or a mix of cyan and red to make a "false white". The wavelengths near 480 - 500 nm have much better penetration in sea water than the mixed components used to make a white LED.

Since the light will be turned on "underwater", heat dissipation issues are a lot smaller as long as you have a metal heat sink path to the water.

Most of us at CPF are a "little crazy" so I can't really comment on that part. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Why? 50 to 100 watts of power is getting into HID land.
    If you are looking for a flood light the LEDs might be a better solution but for a spot the HID is probably a better choice.
    I assume you will be diving in *very* clear water, other wise back scatter is going to be a major problem with a large array.
    Personally I've never seen the need for a powerful light underwater and spend the majority of most night dives in the spring with my lights off. The phosphorescent critters are what I'm there for.

I have an 18w HID now and it's great. I just want to make an LED light. Most of my dives are deep(200+ ft) wreck penetrations...and I've bumped a light head and had it break and used a backup light to get out. The durability of the LED is really an issue for me.

Dale

[ QUOTE ]
    wreckmaniac said:
    I have an 18w HID now and it's great. I just want to make an LED light. Most of my dives are deep(200+ ft) wreck penetrations...and I've bumped a light head and had it break and used a backup light to get out. The durability of the LED is really an issue for me.

Dale

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense and "because" has always been a good reason for me.

yeah..that too...and "it's cool" is another good one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]