5w Luxeon array

wreckmaniac

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I'm back to my original project goal. I want to make a dive light using an external battery pack. From what I've figured I'll need about 20 of the 10 of the 5w luxeons to get what I want...over 1000 lumens. What do you think the viability of that is? I have already built a halogen light head using an external battery pack so my battery pack is water proof to at least 245 ft. Am I crazy or what?

Dale

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOunds plausible. You probably would'nt be able to turn it on for long above water but under water, depending on the design, you'd have a lice bright light. How are you going to mount the LuxV's? Will you be using some sort of optic/reflector?

HB

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just MHO, but the Luxeon package is really set up to deal with not much more than the 5 watts / star. You can obtain much of the output of a 5 watt setup by over driving a 3 watt, at a much lower cost / Lumen.

If your primary purpose for the light is "sight" vs "photography" then I suggest you consider using cyan instead of white, or a mix of cyan and red to make a "false white". The wavelengths near 480 - 500 nm have much better penetration in sea water than the mixed components used to make a white LED.

Since the light will be turned on "underwater", heat dissipation issues are a lot smaller as long as you have a metal heat sink path to the water.

Most of us at CPF are a "little crazy" so I can't really comment on that part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? 50 to 100 watts of power is getting into HID land.
If you are looking for a flood light the LEDs might be a better solution but for a spot the HID is probably a better choice.
I assume you will be diving in *very* clear water, other wise back scatter is going to be a major problem with a large array.
Personally I've never seen the need for a powerful light underwater and spend the majority of most night dives in the spring with my lights off. The phosphorescent critters are what I'm there for.

wreckmaniac

Newly Enlightened
I have an 18w HID now and it's great. I just want to make an LED light. Most of my dives are deep(200+ ft) wreck penetrations...and I've bumped a light head and had it break and used a backup light to get out. The durability of the LED is really an issue for me.

Dale

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wreckmaniac said:
I have an 18w HID now and it's great. I just want to make an LED light. Most of my dives are deep(200+ ft) wreck penetrations...and I've bumped a light head and had it break and used a backup light to get out. The durability of the LED is really an issue for me.

Dale

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense and "because" has always been a good reason for me.

wreckmaniac

Newly Enlightened
yeah..that too...and "it's cool" is another good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts