Red AAA Arc Gasket or O-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Revision 2.0 (circa. April 2001) Arc-AAAs had a gasket instead of an O-ring.
Let's see if I can dig up a photograph...BRB...

newarc2.jpg

Note the gasket on the Arc-AAA head at the bottom.

The only red-bodied Arc-AAAs I'm aware of are the 2003 CPF Editions; and they have O-rings instead of gaskets.
Going by this, your Arc-AAA has a red LED in it; rather than coming in a red body. Correct?

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Yes, I don't have it yet, but the site was talking about a red led, not red body. Would the ones Tad-gear was selling have this gasket setup? I guess the red one they got was older than the others they had, this wasn't specific to red led models, I take it....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The gasket was not specific to LED color, it was specific to the age (version) of the Arc-AAA.
The one with the gasket in my photograph has a white LED.
Hope this is helpful to you.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig`s picture shows the Version 1.0 AAA, the first to be released to the public which was only a small step on from the original hand-made prototypes. Version 2.0 came soon after and was a more refined product. It also had a "gasket" sealing the head, but this one was more of a square-profile o-ring design. The original V1.0 gasket suffered problems with tearing and bunching up, and wasn`t very effective. The flat gasket of V2.0 wasn`t too good either, so the next revision (2.1) and onwards went back to the traditional round-profile o-ring as featured on the very first prototypes.

Early red LEDs used in Arc AAAs were Toshiba parts, with a fairly narrow, somewhat diamond-shaped beam. I forget what the later ones were, but they are much brighter with a wide, smooth spot, and were originally purchased from Photon makers LRI. As far as I know, Nichia have never sold any 5mm round red LEDs. The handful of red parts they do sell are suposedly repackaged dies from another source, intended to match the blue and green ones they make themselves (for colour video screens, etc).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.