best driver/optics/reflector combo for throw

Leeoniya

Enlightened
well, i am deeply saddened that Arc is gone, i have an Arc LSH-F Premium....somewhere :_(. However, i'm looking to make something that has very similar characteristics myself and i'm looking for advice on several things.

first, madmax vs badboy 400. madmax has a lower VinMin, does that mean it will continue to operate longer? however, the badboy is current regulated instead of voltage regulated...which is usually better for LEDs..right? choices choices. i'd prefer to use a CR123A, to keep the length down.

i'm pretty set on a 1W HD or Side emitter. now deciding which one. i know side emitter is designed to be used with reflectors, which are usually larger in diameter than ArcLSH...or optics for that matter, but have better focus if they are deeper as well. I do like the decent throw of my LSH-F which uses a HD and Fraen LP. but this website has me thinking about a reflector...i wonder what type his BBH uses and if it's a HD or side emitter...throw looks impressive:
http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/vipbh.htm

i am pretty good with CAD/CAM/CNC and have access to several brand spankin' new haas machining centers through my school, so i can machine and thread my own size case if i cannot mod an existing one well enough.

so guidelines for design are as follows:

Throw is primary concern, close to LSH-F size if possible
1xCR123A Lithoum batt
Need decent runtime at high brightness....60-90mins
Badboy/Madmax? other? which which which?
Overdriving is a no-no
1W HD or Side Emitter
best optics/reflector config for Luxeon above - please suggest several options in various diameters, i'm willing to sacrifice slightly larger diameter for much better throw, heck, i might machine several different heads, with different configs...but aim is about the diameter of ArcLSH

thanks a ton
Leon

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how much I can tell you, but the specs for a 1W emitter call for a 350mA drive current. A BB400 will be overdriving it very slightly. This should not be a cause for concern because they can be driven up to 700mA for 1W components or perhaps even more.

I like the HD and the SO17XA reflector combination, as well as the HD and the NX05 optics.

sandwich4.jpg

The TV1K (Luxeon 3) is being underdriven at 500mA using a BB500 converter, hence it's brighter than the 1W Surefire KL1 being driven at spec (350mA). The SO17XA has a bigger hotspot with a nice center and is said to be more efficient than the NX05. I like the square hotspot of the NX05 though.The SO17XA is more flood plus hotspot, the NX05 is more flood, I'd say.

Both are tiny and will fit inside a MiniMag with room to spare. They tell me the Fraen LP is the throw king, though.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're looking for a long run light that runs on a single cell, the best place to start is probably with the emitter. Lambda is selling some QWOH stars on his site. If the luxeon is true to it's binning, you'll get performance close to that of an S flux 3W running at the lower current level. The WO color bin is a white as it gets and the H Vf will give you the run time that you're looking for. For that matter, a nice T bin 3W with a low Vf will do, but I'd drive that to at least 400mA.

The converter will need to be a boost converter, so that puts you in the BadBoy's territory. Go with the BB 350 or 400. The madmax is nice and generates less heat, but it's not a constant current converter.

For the reflector, you'll need to go a little big for the throw part, but go with either an IMS 27mm or the McR 27mm.

With this combination you'll have a pocketable light that will run for a respectable length of time and will allow you to throw a beam in excess of 60 yards or more. I know this because I've built many lights like this.