45MW laser, much better than regular 5mw?

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i have posted only once or twice before under a different name but i forgot what i used lol.. anyway i had a 5mw laser and it broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif because i tried to mod it and unfortunatly seems to fiddly to fix.. anyway, i found a link to a site off ebay and came across wicked lasers.. so i seen their best laser they have for 300 dollars (177 pounds here in the uk) and i decided to order it.. i asked the guy and he said it will be 45MW and i should recieve it in 1-2 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif my expectations are very high for this laser and im hoping you can see the beam from any angle for a great distance. What do you think?

Link here : http://wickedlasers.com/index-2.html and its the wicked extreme 40-50MW.

id probably like a more powerful one, but when i spend out quite alot like this i usually expect too much.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your comments.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Wicked Lasers product, advertised to be 40mW with a measured power output of 35.79mW. It has a clean beam, and shoots a good distance.
My evaluation of it is right here if you're interested.
The web page has five beam photographs which you might find useful.

The photograph of the most distant target I can shoot at here (approximately 0.8 mile away) is:

wicked6.jpg

It's that green dot on the upper portion of the structure.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
That shot was in daytime right? the dot is surprisingly bright for day time too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice review, i took a look at that yesterday.. you dont have any outside nightshots though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i want to see a video, or a couple of pics of different angles of the beam at night outside.. i want to get an idea of how it looks that way, anyone?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That photograph was taken right at sunset, so it was still daylight, but not BRIGHT daylight.

I do not have any night photographs of that laser or any other. I live in a densly-packed urban area, and would encounter crackheads, heroin junkies, gang members, and other assorted riff-raff after sunset. So there are no outdoor night photographs, sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
thats ok, could you explain in any way how the beam is outside at night then? in your garden etc?.. is the beam visible from a side view? just need impressions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
yeah, but when you have a laser of that power...be sure not to let it overheat, cause that can happen very fast. i hear you arent supposed to leave it on for over 30 seconds at a time, but i wouldn't know because i dont really feel like spending 300 dollars on a laser pointer. haha.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
Curious, will there be anyone doing possible mods for these lasers? i mean, is it possible to get it to 70 or more MW's? i wont do it myself even if it is possible, chris says that he thinks it cant be done.. but i wanted to ask anyway

Myx

Newly Enlightened
yeah - id assume if you did some circuit modifcations (to increase current load), you could boost one of his 50mW lasers to higher levels... Since all Wickedlasers products draw less than 300mA, you should have the headroom within the diode to increase the power..

Only thing is, its not a super-simple job, since Chris uses the newer leadlights with no direclty accessable potentiometer.

Some people have said that if you open them up, there is one there, but I havent done it myself so I dont know if its possible with them... Some people have said that the only way to increase current load on these "new" models is to replace/remove certain surface mounted fixed resistors.

Other forums members should know a lot more than me on this subject however..

comozo

Enlightened
Why not purchase a pointer module from wicked lasers instead of an assembled laser pointer.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
Pointer module? i thought its easier already assembled, i already purchased an assembled one now (gets shipped monday, tomorow according to chris).. just curious if there was anyone doing mods, or could do a mod on it for me at a good price to bring the mw's up even more without having to shell out like $600 on a 75MW already made at z-bolt etc.. cheaper if you know what i mean.

Thanks for the replies, but i dont want to bust this one whatever happens, i just want best performance for cash which is hard to find these days unless you pay a fortune /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uisgdlyast

Newly Enlightened
don't pay anyone to mod it if you already spent 300$ on it, i think his are already on the highest current so the pot shouldnt matter.

Change a resistor or two, i'm sure you know someone who can do that if you can't.
I think 45mW is really high, there really isnt a use for a 75mW one i dont think

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
it is 300MiliAmps according to the site, also the reviews say it is.. or 320MA.. but it can still be pushed higher, the thing is.. if i dont pay anyone to mod it for me i will not be able to have it modded at all or i risk breaking it like my past laser which i dont particularly want to do.

i want that beam as visible as possible from any angle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Myx

Newly Enlightened
id say his 40-50mW model should satisfy that requirement! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im seriously tempted to buy two of his 40-50mW's - with this special offer on atm! (buy one, get a second at half price!)

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
will it be constant 45MW if that is the one i am to recieve? i mean, can it fluctuate lower? constant would be much better..

Myx

Newly Enlightened
He doesnt state it as 45mW as far as I know..... just a figure that is "usually" between 40 and 50 - although I think someone on this forum has measured one of these lasers at levels emitting below 40mW on fresh batteries...

Constant 45mW should not be expected, as green laser mW output fluctuates with temperature of internal optics.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.. odd, chris said it would be 45mw that i shall recieve.. how much does it drop below?

n/m i just asked him and he said it is 45MW and when it fluctuates it does not go lower than 10 below 45mw

DaFiend

Enlightened
If you ask chris to give you a garanteed output he will supply one. but if you just place an order, you will end up with anything between the range that he states on his site. i have a 35mW on the way. Garanteed.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
he said it is a true 45MW that he sent.. what do you mean guaranteed output? so it could be much less? it cant be, that would be a rip off..

DaFiend

Enlightened
i cut and paste this from my email from chris:

Yes, it'll say on the box, will guarantee a 35.

So, if ask for a 35mW like i did, you get a 35. If you ask for a 45mW like you did, you get 45mw. But yes more often than not green pointers do fluctuate, but i thought they increased not decreased in power?? strange things happen when these babys get warm, and trust me, at 45mW it will.

shadow_of_chaos

Newly Enlightened
what you mean by that?.. meaning it will get much worse?? i dont understand, it will fluctuate yes.. but for better or worse? lol this sounds like i am getting married /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yes he said it will say 45MW on the box written in ink when i recieve it, an agonising wait of up to 2 weeks for me begins.. please tell me what yours is like as you will probably recieve it before mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif