Hurricane Jeanne strikes Florida

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Hurrican Jeanne strikes Florida

I'm here in SW FL, watching and waiting (and hoping) for the *forecasted* turn to the NW. Jeanne is still moving pretty much due West, which I would like to see change. I've still got a tarp on my roof from Hurricane Charley six weeks ago. It's blowing about 40 MPH here right now, and for now everything is staying together (though I can here some flapping). Just hoping Jeanne makes the turn soon and I don't have to go up in the attic with a bunch of five gallon buckets.

My thoughts are with the people dealing with the brunt of this storm, and also hoping that I don't end up being one of them.

Peter

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: Hurrican Jeanne strikes Florida

my real mom lives down there but was up here for the last hurcanes but went home i guess she didnt know about this one.she is around wpb

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us have friends and family in Florida so I watch. Jeanne is very powerful and very dangerous. Considering some residents are tired of evacuating or just can't evacuate, this named storm may be more devastating than the three previous named storms.

20.jpg

For reference on the size of the eye, Lake Okeechobee is 30 miles wide and 33 miles long.

Good information in that link Photon Boy.

LitFuse, would give an approximate town? I hope the brunt will stay off of you and Jetts22. Hang tough, man.

"Jeanne made landfall as a category three hurricane, with gusts of 115mph (185 km/h) knocking out power lines and sending debris flying."

BBC Report

I'm watching these loops:

NOAA Enhanced Loop

NOAA IR Loop

Accuweather Enhanced Loop

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
one figure I heard was 120 years since Florida has been hit by 4 hurricanes in 1 season like this. What a horrific mess.

Looks like it should go well west of me, but that course could change at any moment... Needless to say I'm watching it closely too. It's pretty dark and gloomy here at the moment, winds are picking up but no rain yet.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
We got winds here on Sanibel Island to 55 MPH, not a big deal. My temporary roof repairs held up, so life is good. The power even stayed on, which in the past would have been very unusual, but Charley took out most of the trees here,and the line crews restoring power after Charley laid waste to anything left standing that was in proximity to the new power lines.

This is a large storm, and it's going to affect most folks in Florida and many others in the coming days. Not much you can do about damage, but hopefully there won't be the loss of life like we've seen with the other storms this year.

Peter

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
LitFuse: Hows Sanibel recovering in general? The thought of all the palms and vegitation there destroyed saddens me a great deal as I have so many happy memories of visiting there with my family. My mom came very close to moving there 2 years ago, but couldn't quite get what she needed in the way of space with the money she had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

While you living there might disagree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif What I always loved about it was that it wasn't completely destroyed as a tourist stop. People actually lived there and it had regular stuff as well as the tourist things.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
...sittin' here in the eye of the storm in eastern Hillsborough County, east of Tampa. So far we've been lucky, only a few tree limbs down, and power out only for a short while. Hopefully nothing worse will happen when the rest of the storm passes over.

JB

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, the island is bouncing back slowly. Most of the businesses survived, but lots of the resorts took heavy damage. Many of the Gulf front hotels and resorts lost their roofs and were destroyed by water damage all the way down to the first floor. Once the water comes in, it's all over. Within a couple days everything is covered in mold and mildew. No one was allowed back on the island for five days following Charley, and by then it was too late. These places will be gutted to the concrete walls, cleaned and sealed, and rebuilt from scratch. It will be the first of the new year (and well beyond) before many of these places will be back up to speed.

So right now we've got lots of open businesses, and no tourists. It's like a ghost town here right now.

As far as the vegetation goes, most of the native trees fared OK. There are still plenty of palms and other trees here, though they have been thinned. It's the Australian pines that took the big hit from the storm. I read that 75% have been wiped out. These are the tall trees that provided the shady canopy down Periwinkle Way. It's not shady anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif These are not a native species, and have always been a subject of contoversy here. They drop lots of needles which smother anything trying to grow under them, which creates a monoculture. They also have a very shallow root system which makes them very susceptible to falling over in a storm (which they did en masse). Power was out for two weeks+ after Charley, and the biggest reason why was because of all the pines that had taken out the lines. People here get a little crazy about native trees, etc. and many are glad to see the pines gone. All I know is that liked the way they looked and also the shade that they used to provide. The only benefit from the massive tree loss is that my cell phone service has been dramatically improved. I literally gained two full bars of signal strength after the hurricane. I'd gladly give it back in exchange for the trees though.

Thankfully Sanibel will always be a relatively unspoiled place to visit due to land conservation and a Vision plan to try and keep it as natural as possible. Unfortunatley, it is rapidly becoming an exclusive home for the very wealthy. Regular folks are being pushed out by rapidly increasing home prices. Where year round residents once lived in modest houses, multi-million dollar "show homes" now sit mostly vacant by absentee part time "snowbird" residents. It's a sad state of affairs, but I guess it's inevitable. I'm just trying to enjoy living here for as long as I can hold out, which probably won't be much longer.

Sorry for the hijack, we now return you to the original thread, already in progress. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter