Wear-and-Tear of your Aluminum flashlights

akula88

Enlightened
Mechanically, how long should a good aluminum flashlight last these use (or abuse)?

1. Some lights need the head to be remove when replacing bulb or batteries -- somewhere threads of head or body are being worn down.
2. Other lights needs their tailcap twisted to turned on...
3. ...while others have to be toggled (click-on)
4. Mix and matching components... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally, I would have prefer to change batteries thru the tailcap, minimizing the head-to-body wear -- As the head, especially the head, is so much more expensive than the body or the tailcap; as in the case of Surefire L5/6P/ or L1 vs the L4/E2e.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen Streamlight Stingers put through some heavy duty use and abuse. Here is what I've noticed--the black anodize wears at the beveled edges on the tail and head; the tailcap gets dings and dents; the Lexan lens gets cracked; the rubber button wears and tears away, exposing the switch.

All in all, nothing that seems to kill the light, just makes them less cosmetically appealing.

I baby my Surefires but I would imagine the rubber tailcaps are the first things to need replacing. The glass lens would start getting scratches after heavy use. I have had problems with cross-threading on Minimags, but I think that was poor cutting at the factory.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Johnny,

I believe that most modern day quality lights will handle day to day abuse with no problems.

At any rate, this is a good excuse to have several lights.

Tom

2dim

Enlightened
"At any rate, this is a good excuse to have several lights."

Always thinkin', eh?

BTW, what SIZE was that bra?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Lambda 3W Pill is in a blue minim*g that a US Army Ranger carried. The anodizing is some 25-30% gone.

Before I got it and put a clickie on it, there ain't no telling how many times the head was screwed on and off.

I had no problem installing the pill, focus works just dandy.

My Black Mini with Madmax was used by me for some time before finding CPF and the Madmax. It got clickied at that time. It is rather beat looking, but works well.

I don't think I could actually "kill" a M*glight. Much less a Streamlight or Surefire.

I ain't a bit worried about it.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I have so many lights it will take several life times to wear them out. Maybe now is the time to stop buying.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've had my 4D Mag since the early 90's. Bits of HA are scrapped off, the rubber switch broke, but it's still working OK.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I used to be almost fanatical about babying my collection of lights but came around to the conclusion that I bought them to use and not to look at! I do take care of my lights and try not to unnecessarily abuse them. Regular 2-3 monthly checks on the 'O' rings and lubrication is carried out by me so that the cash investment I've made in these lights doesn't needlessly depreciate because of lack of care. However, I dont worry about dings, scratches or the HA surface wearing off because this is after all a tool! I dont expect anything man made to last indefinitely and if you dont use your lights what is the point of having them?

OBTW, in direct answer to your question I think most Aluminium lights will stand the test of time well, except they may look quite beat up towards the end of a few years heavy use!

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a 2 D cell Mag which was purchased
in the late 80's, I had to replace the switch pedestal module. Apart from some of the anodising which has worn
the Flashlight still works fine.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've got a 3d maglite that has been bashed / crashed gone on 30 km hikes with me through scrub, and apart from one bulb change, and replacing the rubber on the switch, she's still going strong.... for a maglite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the finish is marred in afew places and a bit worn but otherwise fine, its been around for over 10 years I think and only afew months ago did it receive its first lube, the o rings weren't even that bad!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I used the phrase "baby" my Surefires, but let me say:

1. I have never had an actual baby.
2. What I consider babying is probably very different from what many flashaholics would mean.

Mostly I mean that I don't intentionally try to destroy my M6 or M3, though I've managed to kill two M6 lamps. My perspective from the Army is that if you don't break your gear, it's because you aren't using it. I think someone said about my current coworkers, "Those guys could break a bowling ball." Or maybe that was the infantry.

I have never lubed O-rings (though now I'm starting to feel a twinge of guilt). Maybe I'm an abusive flashaholic. I take my lights to the field, climbing up canyons. I use my lights during low light shooting at the gun range. I try to keep them out of raw sewage--I'm so prissy.

My SF's want to go out kick a-- and take names! Blind bad guys and give sight to the blind! Deliver strikes with crennelated bezels! Saw through lesser aluminum flashlights and tough steaks! And look good doing it. I'm holding them back from their mission. Their calling. I'm not worthy to be partnered with my SFs.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Have a 4C m@g lite since the mid 80's and still works fine. Some of the black is chipped off and does not have a spare bulb tail. (the old C versions did not have spare bulbs in them)
Been through:
11 years of ambulance service (fallen off the stretcher I don't know how many times!)
3 years of taxi driving (aka customer control stick)
10 years of camping (hammers tent pegs, etc...)
20+ years of car repairs

I am careful with it, but am not afraid to put it to work in an ugly environment. Keeping the innards clean and lubed up with silicone grease, and checking batteries every six months is truly the key. The anti-roll device is the best option I have ever used with it.

haley1

Enlightened
I had a green mini-m.g light that I purchase about 1984. I used it all over the world, dropped, used till it was almost silver. I lost it in 1989 and it was still working fine. I think it would probably depend on the light but with today's manufacturing methods, I don't think it would be a factor as far as the body is concerned. The longevity would probably depend on how much they care about repeat buyers and the technology that goes into it. I would trust a SF over Nuwai any day for dependability. But your going to pay for it, as I'm sure you know.