Automotive style led lamps side markers

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not seen much on automotive applications, so thought i would post mines. I cross many streets a day use an electric wheelchair and decided that my standard light kit would not cut it to leave it on as I would forget to flip them on and off otherwise or drain my batteries. I went to several auto stores and not many had matching pairs of lamps so I could wire them in series for 24 volt operation. Well, I finally found a pair at a pepboys. I got 2 red and 2 amber ones for the front and rear. They went on fairly easy, but to my surprise the ambers are not as bright as the red ones. The red ones will make you cover your eyes when you look into them, but the ambers are half as bright. They are wired directly to my power system and are on 24/7 and been so since January of this year. Besides the idea to add a controller to make them strobe to maybe get more attention in crowded areas I had not considered any further upgrading. The only down side I see is that when it rains horribly like when gaston hit VA they went out till it dried out. ALso the amber lamps seem to range in color. Sometimes the amber lamps seem a darker color other times a brighter shade of amber. Maybe its just me? I swear they have that strange greenish tinge to them than pure yellow or amber.

Ive seen those single led lamps to accent your lamp housing on your car. I try to get my dad to install them on his car, but he wont, or not just yet. I think that should be stock having your tail and head lamps illuminated 24/7 by a dim led so your can is visible on dark streets.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>I got 2 red and 2 amber ones for the front and rear. They went on
>fairly easy, but to my surprise the ambers are not as bright as the
>red ones. The red ones will make you cover your eyes when you
>look into them, but the ambers are half as bright.

(KM) So put some whites on the front
and move the ambers to the sides.

>They are wired directly to my power system and are on 24/7

(KM) Don't you want to turn them off when you are inside?

>The only down side I see is that when it rains horribly
>like when gaston hit VA they went out till it dried out.

(KM) You have a bad connection somewhere. Silicone them
up and you'll be able to use them underwater, never mind in the rain.

>ALso the amber lamps seem to range in color. Sometimes the
>amber lamps seem a darker color other times a brighter shade
>of amber. Maybe its just me?

(KM) I would guess that sometimes the
voltage varies, and you can see the result.

> Ive seen those single led lamps to accent your lamp housing on
>your car...I think that should be stock having your tail and head
>lamps illuminated 24/7 by a dim led so your can is visible on
>dark streets.

(KM) I'd like to do something like this on my car.
I don't have daytime running lights and I'd like to.
Leaving the parking lights on works, but only sort of.
I haven't figured how to make the new lites elegant.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
THey make white led marker lamps? I may consider that, wouldnt be bad to at least have some pesudo head lamps on it. I like leaving them on as if I get in an accident no one can argue I did not have them on, as they are hard wired. Long story short, was in an accident not related to my condition and the lights being on during the day was an issue in the case. THis was well before running lights were put on cars.

Yes, need to water proof.