getting confused

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I'm still relatively new to CPF and newer to LED's still (although I have ordered my ElektroLumens 3D Light Cannon and am waiting with sweaty hands to get it and try it out) and I have a question about the different colors.

I've read that the different colors are rated differently in mcd (whatever that is) but, what I want to know is, which is the brightest color? Turquoise? Green? White? I'd like to preserve my color vision, if possible, but I'm more concerned with brightness and having the light travel over distance, like a bright incandescent (Legend LX or UK SL6). Could someone explain it to me, simply at first, then get more geeky so I can gradualy get up to speed on all the terminology? Thanks!!!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kinda urgent so I know what color LED to get on my next purchase
grin.gif

(shameless bump, too...hehe)

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
Red is usually the the least disruptive to your night vision, but usually weaker in output than the other colors, unless you're you're getting a Lambertian LS. Turquoise is pretty strong (relative to other colors) if you are refering to nichia LED's, i.e photon. Look for lumens to compare total light output, candelas for the brightest light at a single point (and often only a very small point).

Most LED flashlights do not throw light very far, unless they have a lens up front, like the PT Impact, or a customized flashlight. There are people on this forum that can make customized LED lights to suit your purpose, I'm sure.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reccomend checking out:

[email protected]

Craig has a lot of information on the various colors of LEDs, and you'll find more info there that anyone will want to type out in a general post.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read through his site about LED's and I guess I am still unclear which is the best color. I'm not concerned about preserving night vision but I AM concerned about color rendition and overall brightness...So, which is the best color?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my relatively limited opinion, a white led does not seem to affect my "night vision", like a white flashlight will.

I own a Lambda Illuminator, and as nice (really nice) as it is, it does not throw 300-500 feet like my brinkman legend LX or Princton Tec Surge does.

Don't get me wrong, the Lambda Illuminator is my favorite light, but it does not throw like the others I mentioned.

Think of going to the hardware store and buying a flood light and a spot light. They both do different things.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alrighty. Things are starting to make more sense. What about turquoise LED's? Are they better at preserving color since they're not AS green? And, are they perceived as brighter than white due to the way our eyes work?

signals

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slick:
I reccomend checking out:

[email protected]

Craig has a lot of information on the various colors of LEDs, and you'll find more info there that anyone will want to type out in a general post.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you meant to post his URL, not his e-mail address: The LED Museum

Chris,

A non-white LED will get you black and white (Well, black and [whatever color light you choose]) vision. You see colors because white light (should) contain all visible colors. A colored object only reflects the part of the white light that matches it's color back to your eyes. If you shine a green light on a red object, no green light will be reflected (the object is red) and it will look dark or black. You need white light (or at least as close as you can get) in order to distinguish color. You will not be able to with a colored LED...

-Kevin