Jetbeam        

Thread: could a 3 watt flashlight ever rival a3d maglite?

Default could a 3 watt flashlight ever rival a3d maglite?

i realy havent seen many unmoded maglights but non flashoholics always want to use it to compare. seems they always ask how does it compare to a maglight.im talking about throw bascialy.and im taslking about small led lighta maybe with 27 mm refelecter

Flashaholic*

Default Re: could a 3 watt flashlight ever rival a3d maglite?

IMO, the Elektrolumens 3-watt flashlights compare favorably to a 3D Maglite in overall output.

To my eyes, it looks like the fire a little more overall light than the 3D Maglite.

The Maglite will win in throw cause you can focus the beam to very narrow, but the Elektrolumens have a much better hotspot and light up more area at medium range, IMO.

man there is no way to describe thease super 3 watt lights made by some of are modders to unflasholcis...i tryied to expalin my vip to some one but they just have no idea i cant even imagine useing a maglight anymore my vip and aleph spoiled me

Flashaholic

Raggs,

The LionHeart you've got on order will just KILL the output from a 3d Mag, absolutely KILL it. My PR-T wowed the local PD, and they carry 3d mags on duty. Not one of them equaled the output or throw of that PR-T.

And the Lionheart is projected to be brighter than my PR-T...

cool that amazes me since the mag is so hugeeeeee.i did love my modded mag but it was done by the master mr bulk.and had a 4 c mag for like 1 day before i droped it and bulb broke. decided it wasnt worth fixing lol.

Flashaholic*

I gotta get my self a PR-T. (Need to scrap up cash for Mista Gizmo over there)

Flashaholic*

i think my Elektrolumens Blaster 3 with a 1watt luxeon is brighter than a 3D Mag.

my Elektrolumens FT3C is definitely brighter.

Flashaholic*

I haven't seen a stock 3D maglite that could even come close to any of my modded maglites.

Default Re: could a 3 watt flashlight ever rival a3d magli

If you put a lux 3 in a 3 D maglight and push it well, maglight will pale in comparison.

I put a minimag with NX05 and madmax+ w/o against a 3 D mag. The mag looked anemic by comparison.

Daniel

My 2 Cell Promagnum kills my 3 cell M@glight

lol why do people by maglights. i mean there so huge and ugly beam color.and if ya require a cheap light there are some that are cheap as it but way better.guess im hooked on leds

Why are maglights so popular? They're available everywhere, are relatively sturdy, are generally reliable, and they have amazing brand recognition.

The brand recognition that mag has is truly enviable. If you know much anything about flashlights, you know a mag within 2 seconds of seeing one. Ever notice that the only advertising that mag does is around christmas - and it's the same ad they've been running for years? Companies would kill for that kind of brand recognition - companies like that don't have to advertise much and typically enjoy higher profit margins.

Maglight prices have also remained stable for decades - I imagine you would have paid the same $25 for a 4D maglight in 1984 that you'll pay today.

Flashaholic

My minimag with a 3 watt sandwich recently beat a friends 3D Maglite but he said it wouldn't if he had fresh batteries. I rubbed it in when I told him my batteries were almost dead and proved it by putting them in another two cell light. His did throw farther but the light was almost useless in out warehouse.

I think it would be hard to find a 3 watt Lux light that wasn't clearly superior to a 3D Mag.

A stock 3D Mag won't outshine a 3 watt compact light, but it will probably run a heck of a lot longer because of all that battery capacity. It may also have more throw (narrower beam) because of the big reflector. But the 37mm Aleph reflector should throw a long way too.

Flashaholic*

Yes, runtime is one reason. A 3D $mag$ with NiMHs has close to 40 watthours, and a 4D (which I prefer) has over 50. They make good emergency lights. Long run time, nearly indestructable, water proof enough, long range throw, can be shined at the ceiling, can take commonly available batteries, and my 4D can be used as a club (3D doesn't quite cut it for me for that). No kidding, you could kill someday if you cracked them in the head with one, and people know that. Plus you can mod them any number of ways, as we've all seen.

I honestly thought I would never consider a light that large until I started making plans for a long term emergency/blackout light. But when I thought about all those things above, I realized they have a niche.

Flashaholic*

I also like the maglites, as mod hosts that is. If you really want to do a comparison, compare a stock 3D maglite with one that has been modified (direct drive) with a 3W luxeon. The 3W setup blew the stock setup out of the water and it got some serious runtime. If I remember correctly, it ran for about two weeks and was still giving off light. Maybe I'm exagerating a little, but only a little.

Another draw back to the stock mags is the fact that the bulb always blows when you need the light. This is something else that you don't have to worry about with an LED light.

Flashaholic*

if you look @ Quickbeam's review of Elektrolumens Blaster, he has a few comparison pictures of a 3-D Mag vs. the 3-D Blaster with a 1watt luxeon + 30mm lens, and it seems pretty obvious that it's superior to the Mag. it's smaller, just as bright with a nicer beam, the beam should stay brighter longer, and run longer. and that's only with a 1watt.