TXOJ 3 watt question?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am finishing a search on the word TXOJ and find nothing showing any beam shots nor much other information.I am hoping to find some information on this certain bin code 3 watter as I am looking towards a future mod with this emitter.
I have a beautiful Q3J modded by LitFuse and it has seen nightly use on duty and has worked flawlessly each night.I am now looking to change this emitter in favor of a 3 watt.I am hoping to get the most white tint I can have and am still learning these bin codes and I am now kind of at a loss here.
Can anyone tell me what 3 watt emitter to use if tint is a concern?....What if any advantage does it hold to use the SWAK or SWOK 3 watt?
I am also having Peter replace the NX-05 with a reflector and ucl lens.I am hoping to get a little education here in order to speed up my future mod completion however I must first decide what certain emitter to use.This where I need the help....thanks...Oh and also the current has already been increased by LitFuse on a previous mod and will be running at around 700 Mah if possible.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo,

I also modded a bunch of light using the Q3J emitters and they were particularly nice. I'm not sure that modding you existing light to replace the Q3J will be worth the expense.

That having been said, I've used quite a few TXOJ's and TXOK's and they were all VERY nice.

As for going with the S flux to replace the Q3J, I wouldn't even consider trashing the Q3J just to go with an S flux emitter. If you're gonna upgrade at all, I'd stick with the T flux. It's just plain brighter.

Robocop

I am now beginning to understand the difference between tint and actual brightness.I am trying to hold two lights over my head and have learned how to get an idea of actual amount of light output by turning one on at a time and observing how well each actually illuminate the entire room.
The Q3J has served me well for a long time on duty and is actually a great performer.I recently decided to swap the emitter with a T bin or similiar 3 watt when I was comparing it to a light I had just bought.I got one of the cheap Dorcy 1 watters at Target and it uses 3 AAAs and a reflector setup.I believe it is a low dome and has a pretty good beam for such a low cost light.It was not the throw or anything else that got me thinking but simply the color or tint of this beam.
The beam is very white and appears to be very bright simply by its white color.When compared to my Q3J ARC the modded ARC looked brighter but very yellow and creamy.I think it is personal taste but I like the white tint over the warmer tints.I was always very happy with any of my ARC LS lights as they always had this very white tint.I have an LSH-P that is dazzling in the tint of the beam and have yet to find anything else to compare to it.
I will take the advice from Chop and stick to a T bin lux as he should know better than any on this subject.I am hoping to duplicate the tint of this Dorcy or my LSH-P and also have the actual output of my Q3J.I hope this could be possible as it would be the ideal set up for my tastes in light.I also feel that the reflector is a good improvement as well as the UCL lens.
I may be confused here as many have said their Q3J was very white.This may actually be very white and I may have just been spoiled by some other lights.I do know that it is a great light however I do wish to have a more white tint.
Thanks for the imput and as usual I have learned something new.I do enjoy the ones here who are quick to help out others and I will keep you informed of how I like this newer modded light.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo,

The Q3J's are very white, but they are yesterday's technology. The LED's these days just plain kick a$$, as compared to those just a year ago. I still have a Q3J light and it is a bit creamy when compared to a nice 3W, but it's still nice.

What I'm curious about is that 3XAAA light that you mention. Just hearing about it makes me think, yank the circuit and DD it. I've never had occasion to try a DD 3XAAA, but I may just have to take a trip to Target tonight.

Robocop

I only bought this light at Target as it was there for the taking and I liked the fact it had a nice deep reflector with a 1 watt Lux.The cost was pretty decent so I figured what the heck I might as well try it.
I was impressed with the tint and the throw was also more than expected.I loaded it with 3 AAA lithiums just to see if it helped and it did appear to be even a little brighter than before.It is now sitting in a box with my other 40 or so lights but I intend to keep it.
I was amazed at the tint of this little light and it was then I began to compare it to several others.It is not as pretty as my ARCs but the tint is crystal white and I think it appears brighter even if it is actually not.I can not explain the color of my Q3J mod other than to say it looks creamy yellow in comparison.It is a mystery to me how by itself it looks so white only to turn yellow when compared to others.I have read many threads on how this happens but it still makes me crazy trying to figure it out.I have not the skills to mod this Dorcy so I think I will just keep it as it is to play with.I also plan on allowing LitFuse to work his magic,once again,on my trusty ARC in the hopes of a better tinted Luxeon.
It may also be my imagination however when I added a SO17XA to a few of my mods I could swear it made the tint better and more white.My new plans for the LitFuse mod include a reflector for my ARC and a UCL lens.I have never had a UCL lens but I have read it makes a difference worth paying for.I feel that all this combined will make for me a great light with the tint I am looking for.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo,

You are not going crazy. The reflector does clean up the beam. It appears, to me anyway, that in some lights the NX05 can have sort of a prism effect, if the optic isn't spaced properly (like just sitting the optic on the emitter). I discovered this when doing KL1 mods with TX1K luxeons. I was getting a green ring around a white hotspot. After the reflector, it got real white all over.