3x123 Arc LS 'sleeper'

Dan C

Enlightened
3x123 Arc LS \'sleeper\'

Maybe my last Arc mod, I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, finally got around to it. First, a regular 2xAA clickie pack was bored to accept three 123's. Then, a threaded insert was made for the head to hold a special sandwich made for me last year by Chief Wiggum. The sammie has an unknown LuxIII driven by a Downboy 400. This insert not only holds the sandwich, but also snugs down against the reflector, holding everything together.

It's kinda neat, should have a nice long run time, any ideas how long? I'd thinking maybe 4 hours or so? Best of all, it looks completely factory, and is reversable.
dbls1.jpg

dbls2.jpg

dbls3.jpg

dbls4.jpg

Dan C

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3x123 Arc LS \'sleeper\'

Great idea and work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a very cool mod Dan. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Who made that heatsink.

2. What's "special" about the sandwich.

I can safely say that there are *lots* of people who would be interested in purchasing a kit that would allow them to use a sandwich in their Arc LS. I know I would buy several to have the ability to swap sandwiches at will. I also have several dead Arcs that could be reborn with such an item.

Somebody needs to start making these things!

Peter

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is very nice indeed! Great work.

I agree with LitFuse! This would be a great opportunity for someone to start making these things.

LitFuse, How are you doing with the Hurricanes down there?

cy

Flashaholic

Could you help me with demensions of the sammie holder? Is that a std sammie or a spl thinner sammie?

PM sent

jtice

Flashaholic

Dan C,

Very nice mod !!!!

What surprises me the most, is the fact that you fit 3x123 in the 2AA pack.
I heard long time ago, that there wasnt room to bore it that much.
How thin are the walls????
I HAVE to try this !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Oddly enough, I made a threaded heat sink like that last night, except it was made to use a badboy converter.

-John

Dan C

Enlightened

LitFuse, the sandwich is special in that it's only .200" thick as opposed to the normal .300". Also, it uses a Downboy board which isn't available in a complete sandwich. If you saw it, you'd think it was pretty special due to the superb craftsmanship The Chief used in it's assembly, really nice work.

Full-size sandwiches work with the TSP, but just barely. The sandwich is considerably longer than the original Arc electronics and the head doesn't screw on very far. A full size sammie in an Arc head *just* screws on far enough to cover the o-ring on the TSP. The shorter custom sammie works a little better, allowing the head to screw on 1/10" farther, which is plenty. I made the heatsink/sammie holder, which is many times larger than the Arc sink, and it bears directly on the skirt of the modified reflector rather than pushing the LED itself against the reflector or optic as the factory Arc setup used.

cy, PM coming atcha.

Dan C

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm surprised the 2aa tube had thick enough walls to bore out to 3x123 and have any metal left. Wow!

Runtime with the db400 should be in the 7 hour range by my calculation.

MY

Enlightened

DanC. If you used a full size sandwinch and one of the twisties with the low depth that cy is selling, would you may get a better fit than with a TSP?

Are your heaksink/sandwich holders for sale? If so, please PM me with price.

Regards

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
...I also have several dead Arcs that could be reborn with such an item...

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I bet you I have more dead arc's than you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
...I also have several dead Arcs that could be reborn with such an item...

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I bet you I have more dead arc's than you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna sell me one or 2 of them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cgpeanut

Enlightened

DanC,

Please consider making more of the sammie holder for sale I'm interested pm on the way.

cy

Flashaholic

I plan on making a large run of these to support the ARC LS's out there. this method is the least painless I have seen to bring back alive a dead ARC LS.

This beats trying to source all the spl gaskets, boards, copper flex washers etc needed to make up an original Arc LS.

I've already got a special jig to make the smaller sammies required. the low version of 123 twistys are perfect for this mod.

This project is taking top priority. I'll post updates here.

GeforceFX

Newly Enlightened

Thanks cy were gonna need it especially for the dead lsh-p i got from u and ls3 head im getting.Go to it my man build build build wheres the list to sighn lol Ur great man a scholar and a gentleman

cy

Flashaholic

trying to find spare ARC LS boards is like a needle in a haystack.

but don't forget this mod still requires a spl sammie and a milled out 123 twisty.

Not easier than sticking back the original parts, but you get the avantage of upgrading your ARC LS to current spec's.